The staff of International Student Services is here to help you navigate your immigration status for success as a student and beyond. This portion of our webpage will equip you with immigration basics, and help you understand how to maintain your immigration status. Information is based on immigration regulations, federal guidance and UA Little Rock’s policy and is subject to change. While international student advisors offer knowledgeable advice based on current immigration regulations, they are not attorneys nor is their advice legal council. You are encouraged to seek legal counsel from a qualified immigration attorney as your situation warrants.

Ultimately it is your responsibility as an international student to maintain your immigration status and make all your decisions within the bounds of F or J immigration regulations, guidance and policy. Do not take immigration advice from your friends. After reading this introduction to your immigration status, please consult an international student advisor for more details and information on how these regulations effect you specifically.

Benefits of F-1 and J-1 Visa

  • You can enter the United States as a full-time academic or language student.
  • You can legally work part time on campus and full time on campus during scheduled school vacations.
  • You can travel in and out of the United States or remain here until the completion of your studies.
  • You can bring your dependents (spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21) to live with you.
  • You are eligible to apply for practical training employment as a part of your optional practical training (F-1 only).

Learn more on our Immigration Basics page.