The UA Little Rock Exchange Visiting Scholar Program allows UA Little Rock faculty to invite international colleagues to do research at UA Little Rock for a set period of time. Export Control along with the Office of International Student Services, the hosting faculty member, and the potential visiting scholar ensure that the visit complies with all federal and institutional regulations.
A UA Little Rock faculty member must invite all visiting scholars and must follow the institutional application process in its entirety. Visiting scholars will not be allowed to visit the United States until their applications are completed and approved by Export Control, International Student Services, and the Federal government.
After the visiting scholar has been approved and comes to the United States, he/she will work continually with the hosting UA Little Rock faculty member and the UA Little Rock Office of International Student Services to meet federal and institutional requirements during the duration of his or her visit. Please visit the International Student Services website for more information about the requirements and responsibilities placed on the visiting scholar after he or she arrives.
If you are a UA Little Rock faculty member, please read through the information below and on the Requirements and Responsibilities page before beginning the application process.
Note: The application process may take approximately two months to complete from start to approval. Travel arrangements generally take an additional 30 days after approval; the visiting scholar and any dependents can arrive in the U.S. up to 30 days before beginning research at UA Little Rock.
If you are a visiting scholar hoping to visit UA Little Rock, please contact your UA Little Rock hosting faculty member to learn more about the process.
Who Can Participate?
Visiting scholars must meet certain requirements in order to participate in the J1 visa program. Please visit the International Student Services website to learn more about these requirements.
The visiting scholar application process has three main steps. A UA Little Rock employee, preferably the hosting faculty member, must complete each step in the application process. However, before beginning the process, the UA Little Rock employee who is filling out the application will need to work closely with the host faculty member and the potential visiting scholar to gather all of the necessary information and documents.
Note: A visiting scholar does not have permission to come to the U.S. until Export Control and International Student Services have approved both reviews.
- Complete the Visiting Scholar Interest Form. This is the preliminary form that notifies Export Control and International Student Services of your potential upcoming plans to invite a visiting scholar. We recommend that you submit this form at least three months before the visiting scholar is expected to arrive at UA Little Rock. You will need to know the following information before you start this form:
- Visiting scholar’s first and last name
- Visiting scholar’s city and country of origin
- Visiting scholar’s current position
- Projected start date of visiting scholar’s visit
- Purpose of visiting scholar’s visit
Read the Exchange Visiting Scholar Program Requirements and Responsibilities thoroughly and carefully.
- Complete the Academic Review Application. This is a revised application that now includes the previous Scope of Work Form and the Visual Compliance Data Form. Printing the Academic Review Application form before you begin to complete it should make it easier to determine what information you will need to include. You will also need to discuss the requirements with the visiting scholar as well. Once the Export Control Officer has reviewed and approved the Academic Review Application you will be contacted so that you can begin the Immigration Review Application.
- Complete the Immigration Review Application, English Language Proficiency Assessment Form, and Statement of Compliance with Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Requirements Form (this form is to be completed by the visiting scholar).
- Read the requirements for the Immigration Review application thoroughly and carefully. Most of the information required for the Immigration Review Application will also be some of the information that you needed to complete the Academic Review Application.
- International Student Services and Export Control will review this application. Be sure to respond to any queries from them quickly to keep the application process progressing.
- International Student Services will notify you if the Immigration Review Application has been approved. From there, they will guide you through the next steps that will need to be taken to bring the visiting scholar to the UA Little Rock campus.