Disability Accommodations

Accommodating Disability Housing Requests

UA Little Rock Student Housing is committed to the goal of achieving equal educational opportunity and full participation for students with disabilities and chronic health conditions.  To this end, some rooms feature roll in or transfer showers, grab bars, visual alarms, and door buzzers.  Braille signage, door levers, and designated wheel chair accessible routes are standard.

Students with a disability or medical condition who wish to live on campus and plan to pursue accommodations are encouraged to initiate the process as soon as possible.  Some accommodations can take time to arrange and University Housing may receive multiple requests which can affect the allocation of resources.

Process for Requesting a Housing Accommodation:

1)   Indicate on the housing application the intention to request an accommodation.  Submit the housing application with the required housing deposit to the Campus Living Office as soon as possible.

2)   Contact the Disability Resource Center at 501.569.3143  to schedule an appointment, or visit them in Donaghey Student Center 103.  During the interview, documentation will be discussed and accommodations agreed upon.

3)   DRC will recommend the appropriate accommodation to the housing office.

4)   The Campus Living office will make every effort to honor the request.  The student, the DRC staff and the housing representative will work together to achieve the desired accommodation or possible alternatives.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Accommodation Requests

Required Residency:

First-time, full-time freshmen are required to live on the UALR campus as part of the residential community.

Housing Application Deadline:

Housing applications are accepted year round – there is no deadline.  Assignments are prioritized based on the date the completed application and required deposit are received by the housing office.  It is important to submit the housing application as early as possible.


To schedule a campus tour which includes ‘Campus Living’, contact Admissions.

Private Rooms:

Living within a residential community and learning to share space with a roommate is considered by Campus Living as an integral component of the overall educational campus experience.  Requests for a private room (as an accommodation) based solely on a desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” will be granted only in unusual circumstances.  By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof, it is not reasonable to assume that having a private room would provide for such a quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard double room.  There are very few private rooms which may be assigned on a space available basis.  The private room rate in East Hall is approximately 40% more than the cost of a double room.

Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma:

The residence halls at UA Little Rock are heated and cooled by a central ventilation system.  Therefore, airborne particles are filtered and absorbed throughout the system. Students who are sensitive to dust, mold, household cleaners, perfumes, hair sprays, and other allergens may want to bring hypoallergenic bedding, a personal air filter, and products used in your own home that you are used to.  We also suggest a discussion among roommates regarding specific air quality issues.  Ultimately, because of the nature of community living, no guarantees can be made regarding the need for a sterile environment.

Service Animals:

Trained service animals will be permitted in University Housing.  The student is responsible for the animal’s care, including clean-up.  Any damage caused by the animal will be billed to the student. Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities.

Emotional Support Animals:

An emotional support animal (ESA) is a companion animal which provides therapeutic benefit, such as alleviating or mitigating some symptoms of the disability, to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability. Emotional support animals are typically dogs and cats, but may include other animals.

To request an emotional support animal, please fill out the request form here: Emotional Support Animal Request Form

Personal Care Attendants:

Non-student attendants hired by disabled students are subject to a criminal background check and will be required to sign a code of conduct.  The attendant will be granted access to the living space as well as parking based on the student’s request.

Evacuation Procedures:

Residents needing assistance with evacuation during an emergency should notify their Resident Assistant (RA) at the beginning of the semester. The RA will then inform the housing staff as well as the Department of Public Safety.

Cancellation Deadlines:

All new students who have applied for campus housing may receive a refund of the $100 housing deposit provided the written cancellation request is received by the stated deadlines.  Fall new resident housing cancellation deadline is July 01.  Spring deadline is December 01 for new residents.  No deposit refunds are issued after these deadlines.  However, it is still important to cancel to avoid housing changes being applied to your student account.

For other questions, contact the UA Little Rock Office of Campus Living through Email: campusliving@ualr.edu or by calling 501.661.1743.