The various versions of educational benefits available to veterans, including the GI BILL®, eligibility requirements, and names of the programs can be confusing. The Chart below is provided to help you understand what educational benefit you are eligible to receive.
|Item||Post-9/11 GI BILL® (Chapter 33)||Montgomery GI BILL®-Active Duty (Chapter 30)||Montgomery GI BILL®-Selective Reserve (Chapter 1606)||Reserve Education Assistance Program-REAP (Chapter 1607)||Veterans Education Assistance Program-VEAP (Chapter 32)||Dependents Educational Assistance Program-DEAP (Chapter 35)|
|VA Brochure Link||VA Link||VA Link||VA Link||VA Link||VA Link||VA Link|
|Minimum Length of Service (Time of Service)||90 days active aggregate service (after 9/10/01) or 30 days continuous if discharged for disability||2 yr. continuous enlistment (minimum duty varies by service date, branch, etc.)||6 yr. commitment (after 6/30/85)||90 days active continuous service (after 9/10/01)||181 continuous days active service (between 12/31/76 and 7/1/85)1||Not applicable|
|Maximum # of Months of Benefits 2||36||36||36||36||36||45|
|How Payments Are Made||Tuition: Paid to school Housing stipend: Paid monthly to student Books & Supplies: Paid to student at the beginning of the term||Paid to student||Paid to student||Paid to student||Paid to student||Paid to student|
|Duration of Benefits||Generally 15 years from last day of active duty||Generally 10 years from last day of active duty||Ends the day you leave Selected Reserve||Generally 10 years from the day you leave the Selected Reserve or the day you leave the IRR 4||10 yrs from last day of active duty||Spouse: 10 – 20 years 3 Child: Ages 18-26|
|Non College Degree Training||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|On-the-Job & Apprenticeship Training||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Licensing & Certification||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|National Testing Programs||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Tutorial Assistance 5||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
- The amount of time varies according to when the Veteran enlisted and entered active duty.
- You may receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits combined if you are eligible for more than one VA education program.
- Spouses are generally eligible to receive benefits for 10 years. However, spouses of individuals rated total and permanent within 3 years of discharge and spouses of individuals who die on active duty are granted a 20-year eligibility period.
- The Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) is a category of the Ready Reserve of the Reserve Component of the Armed Forces.
- VA can pay the difference between the total cost of tuition and fees and the amount of Tuition Assistance paid by the military.