International students are eligible for a Social Security Number only after they have been in the US for 10 days, and they have received one of the following:
- On-campus job offer with offer letter
- Received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
- Received an I-20 authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Social security numbers will not be granted to international students solely on the basis of establishing records or receiving tax benefits.
Applying for a Social Security Number
- Receive job offer letter from hiring department
- Offer letter must be on department letterhead, dated, signed, and referencing position and number of hours per week.
- Hiring departments may view Example Job Offer Letter
- Submit NRA employment packet
- Processing may take up to 5 business days
- Receive SSN Support Letter from International Student Advisor
- When your letter is ready, an international student advisor will send you an email notification
- Visit the Social Security Administration with your SSN Support Letter and job offer letter from hiring department
- Once you receive your SS number or SSN card, visit the UALR Office of Human Resources to complete your hiring paperwork
If you are eligible for a SSN based on an EAD, a supporting letter from ISS is not necessary.