Social Security Number

International students are eligible for a Social Security Number only after they have been in the US for 10 days, and they have received one of the following:

  • On-campus job offer with offer letter
  • Received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Received an I-20 authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Social security numbers will not be granted to international students solely on the basis of establishing records or receiving tax benefits. F-1 and J-1 students with SS numbers are still subject to immigration regulations related to employment authorization. 

Applying for a Social Security Number

  1. Receive job offer letter from hiring department
    • Offer letter must be on department letterhead, dated, signed, and referencing position and number of hours per week.
    • Hiring departments may view Example Job Offer Letter
  2. Submit NRA employment packet
    • Processing may take up to 5 business days
  3. Receive SSN Support Letter from International Student Advisor
    • When your letter is ready, an international student advisor will send you an email notification
  4. Visit the Social Security Administration with your SSN Support Letter and job offer letter from hiring department
    • You must have been within the United States for 10 days before applying for an SSN.
  5. After you receive your Social Security Number or SSN card, visit the UA Little Rock Office of Human Resources to complete your hiring paperwork

If you are eligible for a SSN based on an EAD, a supporting letter from ISS is not necessary. 

Institute Additional Verification through SAVE

If a nonimmigrant’s status cannot be verified immediately, they may need to go through additional verification through SAVE. Ask for a SAVE case number and go online to SAVE Case Check to see the estimated wait time. Please note, the phrase “Institute Additional Verification” refers to further information needed by a governmental office, not International Student Services.