Requirements Per Category

Please choose the category most appropriate to your guest from the selections below:

Research Scholar/Professor

Foreign professors and research scholars are given the opportunity to engage in research, teaching and lecturing at UA Little Rock, to participate actively in cross-cultural activities with Americans, and ultimately to share with their countrymen their experiences and increased knowledge of the United States and their substantive fields. Research scholars or professors may remain in the United States for up to five (5) years on a J-1 visa. There are more restriction for this category: A J Research scholar or professor who has previously been in the United States in any category for more than 6 months is not eligible for the same category unless s/he has left the U.S. and stayed outside the United States for the previous 12 months. Research scholars and/or professors who complete their J-1 programs and leave the United States are not eligible to return as J-1 visa holders in the same category for 24 months. Paid employment for J-1 research scholars or professors is permitted only if it is described on the Form DS-2019 issued to the J-1 visa holder. It is not possible for a J-1 visa holder to accept paid employment outside of UA Little Rock.


Items From Guest

  • Application Form
  • Original funding document, in English, showing dollar amount and dates of funding if your department does not cover required amount for visa requirementsAll visitors must have funding for $16,000 for one (1) year participation at UA Little Rock with $2,500 per dependent per year. If coming for less than a year, funding of $1,400 a month is required.
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Transfer of program sponsorship form for current J scholar transferring to UA Little Rock from another U.S. Institution with copies of all previous DS-2019 forms and a copy of identification page of passport

Items From Department

  • Departmental Application Form. Check “Professor” if the guest will engaged primarily in teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at accredited post-secondary academic institutions, museums, libraries, or similar institutions. Check “Research Scholar” if the guest’s primary purpose is to conduct research, observe, or consult in connection with a research project. The research scholar’s appointment to a position shall be temporary, even if the position itself is permanent. The professors may freely engage in research and research scholars may freely engage in teaching and lecturing; this will not be considered a change of category. Incidental lectures or short-term consultations are permitted as long as they are directly related to the objectives of the your program, and do not delay its completion date.
  • Invitation letter from UA Little Rock department for researcher with funding listed.

J Student Intern

J Student Interns are students currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in accredited post-secondary academic institutions outside the United States. They must be participating in an internship program in the United States that will fulfill the educational objectives of their current degree programs at their home institutions, and they must return to their home institutions upon completion of the internship. They must verify that they have English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment. They may participate in student internship programs for up to 12 months using the J-1 visa. They must comply with the requirement of having health insurance while participating in the J program. Paid employment is permitted only if it is described on the Form DS-2019 issued to the J-1 visa holder.

Instructions for J-1 Researchers

  1. After you have been hired, request an official letter of employment from your department that states who you are working for, how many hours a week you will be working and the date you are to begin work.
  2. Call 501-916-5815 to make an appointment to see one of the advisors in the Office of International Services.
  3. Bring to the employment offer letter from the department to the appointment.
  4. We will issue an Social Security Number (SSN) letter and non-resident alien employment authorization. Obtaining a Social Security Card can take up to 4 weeks.
  5. Complete all additional paperwork with Human Resources.