J-2 Dependents

J-1 Exchange Visitors may bring their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 to the U.S. Dependents are issued J-2 visas and are subject to the regulations of the Exchange Visitor Program. They may arrive with the J-1 or join him/her at a later time.

Exchange Visitors are permitted to bring dependents to the U.S. only if financial resources are adequate for their support. Each dependent must have health insurance coverage while in the U.S. which meets the minimum standards established or all F and J visa holders studying at UA Little Rock.

Once your dependents arrive in the U.S. they may apply to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for employment authorization. This application process usually takes several months, and OIS will provide the necessary forms. Applicants must clearly demonstrate that the income earned will not be for the support of the Exchange Visitor.

If the J-1 leaves the United States, the J-2 dependents no longer have valid immigration status within the US.