On-Campus Employment

Students enrolled full-time, in good academic standing, and maintaining an F-1 or J-1 status are eligible to work on campus for up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and full-time during university breaks, including summer, winter, and spring break. Official breaks begin on the day after the final exam, per the UA Little Rock academic calendar.

On-campus part-time employment opportunities are offered through departments and offices throughout campus. Positions are based on departmental resources and are competitive. International students should not depend upon finding a job on campus as their means of financial support.

Types of On-Campus Employment Include:

  • Teaching or research assistantship
  • Donaghey Student Center (DSC) in the food court or the gym
  • Ottenheimer Library
  • Academic Success Center

Many positions on campus are funded by the federal work-study program. Unfortunately, international students do not qualify for these positions.


  • Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students.
    • IELP students are not eligible for employment of any kind
    • After program completion (graduation), students become ineligible for on-campus employment without OPT authorization.
  • Current students who are transferring to another school in the following semester
    • If a transfer will take place in the fall, students are not eligible to work at UA Little Rock in the summer
  • Maintaining active F-1 or J-1 immigration status
    • Students with a terminated I-20 or DS-2019 may not work on campus until their status has been corrected.

Steps for Receiving On-Campus Work Authorization

Once you are offered an on-campus job, make sure you are enrolled in a full-course load of classes for the current or upcoming semester.

ISS will provide approval and notify the Office of Human Resources for as long as your I-20 or DS-2019 is valid and your job position stays as stated on your Non-Resident Alien Employees (NRA) job form. Any change in job or hours must be reported to ISS using the processes outlined below.

Submit Online NRA Form

The NRA form will ask you a series of questions and allow you to upload documents. The form may require some or all of the following:

  • Job offer letter from the hiring department
    • Letter should be on departmental letterhead, signed and dated.
    • The letter should include the expected hours per week and whether the work will be conducted on campus.
  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94 Arrival Card
  • EAD (Employment Authorization Document) if you are currently on OPT

The form will also require you to check statements of understanding. You will be responsible for maintaining your immigration requirements, including those related to your employment eligibility while you work on campus.

After you submit your the documents listed above, an International Student Advisor will:

  • Check your enrollment and verify that you are maintaining your immigration status
  • Complete the advisor portion of the NRA Employment Form and update internal records
  • Send your documents to Human Resources, notifying them that you are eligible for the position
  • Write your Social Security Number Support Letter, if an SSN is needed
  • Notify you by UA Little Rock email that you may now visit Human Resources to complete your New Hire paperwork and tell you that your SSN letter is ready to pick up, if needed

After receiving notice from International Student Services:

Learn More about Applying for a Social Security Number