Equinox is a student-run journal of contemporary literature and art at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. Our aim is to discover and nurture the unique voices of our diverse student body through compiling an annual selection of visual art, poetry, fiction, and drama representing the Arkansas art community.
We are taking submissions from any UALR student. The deadline for all literary submissions (poetry, fiction, or drama) is November 1, and the deadline for visual art is December 1. Please see below for full submission guidelines. Click here for a listing of the Equinox staff.
Submitting Your Work For Publication
Equinox is taking submissions for our upcoming edition. We are looking for writers and artists interested in submitting visual art, poetry, fiction, or drama. UALR students of any major, graduate or undergraduate are encouraged to submit.
Each year, the deadline for all literary submissions (poetry, fiction, or drama) is November 1, and the deadline for visual art is December 1. Email all submissions to email@example.com
Please take care to follow all of the guidelines below. Failure to do so may disqualify your submission.
Send no more than the following
- Poetry: maximum 5 poems (or 15 pages total)
- Fiction: maximum 2 stories (maximum 5,000 words per story)
- Drama: maximum 2 plays (maximum 10 pages per play)
- Art: maximum 5 submissions per category (photography and other visual)
Label your files according to these file format requirements
Poetry, Fiction, and Drama
- Microsoft Word (formatted as .doc or .docx)
- Name the files as LastNameFirstName_Title_Genre.doc (example: DoeJane_SandDollars_Fiction.doc)
- Dimensions: Minimum 5 inches in the longest dimension
- File Format: Save all images JPEG – highest quality
- File Name: Name the files as LastNameFirstName_TitleImage_Medium.jpg (example: DoeJohn_Sunshine_OilOnCanvas.jpg)
- Color space: Save images in an RGB color space, preferably sRGB
- Resolution: Minimum 240 dpi, but ideally 300dpi
Special Art Submission Notes
- We will consider the quality of your digital image during the judging process, so please make sure your artwork is presented the best way possible
- If you are submitting a three-dimensional piece, you can send up to three photographs of it (in this case name as such LastNameFirstName_Title#_Medium, example: DoeJoe_David1_Sculpture, DoeJoe_David2_Sculpture, DoeJoe_David3_Sculpture)
Equinox is proud to announce that we are able to offer cash prizes in both literature and art. These prizes will be judged anonymously by nationally-known experts in their fields. This coming year, the judges are:
Judge for Fiction
Judge for Poetry
Rebecca Gayle Howell
Judge for Art