Checklist for Military Students

Joint colorsThe UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success is here to serve you as you have served us. We will provide you with information, guidance, and resources throughout your time at UA Little Rock. We are dedicated to ensuring that your educational experience promotes your success academically, personally, and professionally. Our office has an open door policy and you are welcome to drop by anytime!

APPLICATION PROCESS (Getting into UA Little Rock)

☐ Contact Office of Military Student Success

Connect with other military students who have been through this process.
To set up an appointment: Call us at 501.682.8387 or Email us at

☐ Apply to UALR

Apply to UALR. Make sure to read each screen carefully and check the box that signifies you are a military student. (The proof of service connection is a copy of your ID Card, copy of orders, or a copy of DD form 214. This is required to prevent from having to pay the $40 application fee. Also, make sure that the pop up blocker is set to allow pop up screens for this process or it will take you to a payment screen.)

  • Email the proof of service connection to
  • Dependents submit shot records to show 2 series of Mumps, Measles, and Rubella (MMR) or titer test showing presence of antibodies. For active duty and Veterans, proof of military service is proof of immunizations.
☐ Apply for VA Educational Benefits by completing the online application found on
  • First-time applicants will apply online at
  • Your military status will determine what benefit you are eligible to receive.

You will need to gather various bits of information like your bank account information and a copy of your or your parent’s DD-214.

☐ Apply for Active-Duty Educational Benefits (Tuition Assistance-TA).

Each service branch has its own criteria for eligibility, service obligation, application process, and restrictions. See your base/camp/post education office for assistance.

☐ File for federal financial aid by Submitting FAFSA

To see if you qualify for financial aid—this is in addition to VA educational benefits or TA—fill out FAFSA, the free federal financial aid application with UA Little Rock as your school. The school code for the UA Little Rock is 001101.

  • You will also need a Department of Education PIN in order to sign your FAFSA electronically.
  • You may also apply for scholarships.
  • You may combine grants, scholarships, and military educational benefits. This means you may get money back after everything is paid for. TA and VA educational benefits cannot be used to pay for the same class.

(Note: Scholarships and Grants are “free money.” Loans are not).

☐ Provide Proof of Military Educational Benefits Eligibility

This is dependent upon what VA Chapter you are under or if you are active duty.

Examples include the following:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for VA Educational Benefits
  • TA approval form for Active Duty
  • VA form 1905 for Ch. 31
  • DD Form 2384-1 NOBE for Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard
☐ Send all college/military transcripts to UA Little Rock

All transcripts should be sent to the following address:

    • UA Little Rock
    • Office of Admissions
    • 2801 S. University Ave
    Little Rock, AR 72204

Request transcripts from your branch of service:

  • Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard (Joint Services Transcript)
  • Air Force (Community College of the Air Force)

ENROLLMENT PROCESS (Getting into Classes)

☐ Take Math Placement/English Placement Test (*if applicable)

Go to for details

You do not have to take the placement exam if one of the following conditions apply:

  1. You have taken any placement exam (i.e., ACT, SAT, COMPASS, Accuplacer, etc.) within the past 5 years and sent official testing results to UA Little Rock.
  2. You have already taken college-level mathematics and/or English composition classes and passed.
  3. You have taken pre-core (preparatory) college-level mathematics and/or English composition courses and passed.

Go to for details

All the above must be annotated by official transcripts on file at UA Little Rock.

☐ Attend Orientation

At orientation, you will meet your academic advisor and learn about degree requirements, campus services, and how to register for classes.

☐ Get Advised

Send your degree plan to or upload with Certification Request Form.

☐ Register for classes

See our Registration Guide

☐ Complete Certification Request Form (CRF)


The Department of Veteran Affairs determines educational benefits eligibility NOT the staff at UA Little Rock. To find out what educational benefit you are eligible for, you must use the Veterans Online Applications ( Refer to the checklist to determine what form you must fill out. The forms are all in Any PDF form you find online needs to be mailed and may delay your benefit determination. is the best way to apply for your benefits.

The VA educational benefits Chapters are as follows:

  • CHAPTER 30 – The Montgomery GI Bill®- This program provides educational benefits for individuals entering the military service after June 30, 1985. (Reservists and National Guard members should refer to Chapter 1606 below).
    NOTE: Any previous recipient of “old” GI Bill® benefits should report them as Chapter 30 on this form.
  • CHAPTER 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans-This program is for individuals who have a service connected disability, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment handicap. Students reporting this benefit must report monthly subsistence allowance on this form.
  • CHAPTER 33 – Post – 9/11 GI Bill® – This program is for individuals who served on active duty after 09/10/2001. Individuals must have served for an aggregated period of at least 90 days or served at least 30 continuous days and received a disability discharge. NOTE: Individuals are eligible while on active duty after serving a period of 90 days.
  • CHAPTER 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) Program- This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who died or are 100% permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes.
  • CHAPTER 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill®: Selected Reserve- This program is available to members of the Selected Reserve including the National Guard.
  • CHAPTER 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program-This benefit is for Reservists called to active duty to support contingency operations. Note: This chapter is being phased out. No new participants may be enrolled in this program.

UA Little Rock is a “YELLOW RIBBON” participant. (Contact our office for more details)

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)