UA Little Rock has invested more than $5 million to improve the university’s core network environment which consists of technology that originally was implemented in 2008.
IT Services has been working diligently to upgrade the campus network with current technology to support the university’s teaching and research missions, both now and into the future. An immediate goal is to provide campus users a modern, wireless networking environment that is sufficient to support faculty, researchers, student, and staff needs.
Benefits of Upgrade
- Significant improvement in capacity and coverage
- Improved wireless to the latest 802.11ac standard 500Mbps (was 54 Mbps)
- Faster Edge to Distribution link speeds now 10Gbps (was 1Gbps)
- Redundant edge switch uplinks (all edge switches has 2 uplinks)
- Improved wired edge port speed to 1Gbps (was 100Mbps)
- Power redundancy for POE (Power Over Ethernet) devices
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) throughout the network to provide for network stability
Progress Report (July 31, 2018)
- A year ago on July 31, 2017, UA Little Rock received the first of many truckloads of network equipment, kicking off a 5 million dollar project to completely modernize the network.
- Over the course of late summer and into early fall, nearly 5,000 sf of warehouse space was occupied to store, inventory, and stage new equipment.
- 37 buildings have been converted over to the new wireless network in a matter of only 30 weeks and 1,800 Access points have been installed
- A state of the art network core has been designed and deployed, and 2 sets of next generation firewalls have been configured and installed.
- Everyone in ITS has played a considerable and important role, from unloading equipment, configuring hardware, supporting users, updating the website, sending tweets, checking system status after firewall changes, to paying our bills and tracking invoices.
Project Schedule (Subject to revisions based on wiring contractor availability)
|Windgate Center of Art & Design||Completed|
|Donaghey Student Center||Completed|
|University Village phase 1||Completed|
|University Village phase 2||Completed|
|Speech / HR / Print Shop/ Communications/Procurement||Completed|
|Reynolds College of Business (RBUS)||Completed|
|Student Services Center||Completed|
|Center for Performing Arts||Completed|
|Physics & Astronomy||Work in progress|
|Fine Arts||Work in progress|
|Jack Stephens Center||Work in progress|
|Administration North||Work in progress|
|Bailey Alumni & Friends Center||Work in progress|
|SCLB (includes Earth Science)||Work in progress|
|Power Generation Plant||Not yet started|
|Facilities / Annex / Central Utilities 2||Not yet started|
|Education||Not yet started|
|Nanotechnology||Not yet started|