This link directs you to a giving form. Choose “William H. Bowen School of Law” under the gift designation section. These funds will be deposited into the Bowen Annual Fund. If you wish to designate your gift to a specific scholarship or purpose, please use this link and include the desired fund in the “Other” category. Please contact the Bowen Alumni/Development Office or 501-324-9967 for more information.
Why Give to Bowen?
The UA Little Rock William H. Bowen School of Law offers a challenging educational experience in a close and supportive environment. Outside support is critical to the school’s continuing success. Your support helps us excel in an increasingly competitive marketplace as we recruit some of the brightest students in the country. Alumni giving also impacts the US News and World Report rankings for law schools.
Every gift buys something Bowen would not have otherwise — each book in the library is important to the student reading it, and each computer is vital to learning. Each year, small gifts amount to thousands of dollars.
Gifts to the Annual Fund support the best elements of the Bowen Law School — small classes, low faculty-to-student ratio, a beautiful campus, one-on-one attention. Without financial support, it would be difficult to maintain and improve these assets.
Gifts to other designated funds — these gifts allow the Bowen Law School to pursue endeavors outside the normal budget restrictions like scholarships, faculty and staff development, student organizations, student competitions, professorships, etc.
The tradition of philanthropy keeps the institution strong and competitive — the value of a Bowen Law School diploma depends on the standing of the school and its ability to continue to excel.
Ways to Give
Annual Fund — Unrestricted gifts will be directed to Bowen’s most urgent financial needs. These gifts help supplement student scholarships and support of student organizations. They also help provide student scholarships; bring distinguished professors and speakers to campus; supports student organizations; provide professional development for faculty, administrators and staff; and support Moot Court and the Trial Competition teams.
Bowen’s goal for the Annual Fund corpus is $2 million.
Endowed Scholarships — Arkansas’s funding for higher education continues to be flat. In spite of this, we have not increased the costs of a legal education for our students, because we want them to have many career options when they graduate. In addition, Bowen has a record number of first generation college graduates (32%) entering law school this year. Scholarships are incredibly important for these students, because they are less likely to have the financial support of their parents. Scholarships help keep student debt low and provide support for deserving students. Named scholarships can be in the name of you or a family member, or you can honor the memory of a colleague.
- Full-tuition scholarship — $350,000 (this amount provides for a $14,000/year scholarship)
- Half-tuition scholarship — $175,000 (this amount provides for a $7,000/year s
- Minimum scholarship endowment — $25,000
Bowen’s goal is to endow $4 million in total scholarship funds.
Book Awards — Books continue to be one of the largest expenses for students. A named book award provides an endowment to help defray those costs. As with scholarships, book awards can be in the name of you or a family member, or you can honor the memory of a colleague.
- Endowed book award — $10,000
Law Library Study Carrel Program — The Law Library has many study carrels that are available for naming. By naming a study carrel, you can assure that your legacy, or that of a loved one, will live on for years to come.
- Open study carrel — $5,000
- Closed study carrel — $10,000
Endowing a Professorship — Bowen currently has seven named professorships, each focusing on a specific area of scholarship and teaching. You can choose to endow a professorship to continue your passion for your practice, or to commemorate the practice of a family member or colleague.
- Named professorship — $350,000
Bowen’s goal is to add three named professorships so that we can recruit and retain quality faculty.
Endowing a law school space — Maybe you have a favorite classroom or study space; perhaps it’s a space you always wished Bowen had. Endowing a gift for a room will ensure maintenance and updates on law school facilities.
- Classrooms 315, 317, 325, 515 — $100,000 each
- Dean’s Conference Room — $100,000
- Library classrooms (3 of them) — $100,000 each
- High tech classroom for new courtroom — $250,000
- Student Center — $250,000
Endowing programming — Bowen is consistently named as a top practical skills law school and as a leader in practice-ready education. Each student is required to take an experiential class (clinic, externship, or practicum) in order to graduate. Endowments help ensure the legacy of Bowen, our alumni, and our core values of access to justice, public service, and professionalism.
- Consumer Protection Clinic — $1 million
- Delta Clinic — $1 million
- Litigation Clinic – $1 million
- Mediation Clinic – $1 million
- Tax Clinic – $1 million
- Moot Court program — $1 million
- Trial Advocacy program — $1 million
- LEAP program — $2.5 million (provides scholarships for those admitted to the program)
- Rural Practice Incubator Project — $2.5 million (provides access to justice to rural areas in Arkansas and includes loan forgiveness program for the last year of law school for those accepted into the program)
- Immigration Clinic (new) — $4 million
- Center for Excellence in Trial Advocacy/Lawyering Skills — $5 million
- Naming of the Legal Clinic — $10 million (The Legal Clinic as a whole is a law firm within the law school and provides assistance to those who cannot otherwise afford assistance. It includes each of the clinic divisions mentioned above.)
If you would prefer to make a gift to Bowen as part of your estate planning, we would be happy to help you. Please contact the Bowen Alumni/Development Office or 501-324-9967 for more information. Read about our most recent planned gift.