Psychology student to represent Little Rock at Miss Arkansas USA pageant

Ashley Mosley, a junior psychology major at UALR, will represent Little Rock in the Miss Arkansas USA 2015 pageant at 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, at the Arend Arts Center in Bentonville.

Mosley, who has Type 1 diabetes and a rare genetic disease callAshley Mosleyed Ehlers Danlos, said she wants to show the diabetic community that there is nothing they cannot achieve living with the disease.

“I have many young girls who will be watching and looking up to me as I take the stage,” she said. “I have the diabetic community behind me across the states, but I’m looking for support from the city I’m representing and my fellow students I attend classes with each day.”

A “people’s choice” vote will automatically advance the contestant with the most votes to the semi-finals. Each vote costs $1, and every dollar is donated to Warriors for Ross, a charity that is raising funds for a young boy living with leukemia.

Voting will end at 8 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 5. Votes can be cast at www.warriorsforross.com. The semifinals will take place on Sunday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m.

“I realized after my diagnosis that I cannot live without insulin,” said Mosley. “I consider insulin therapy a chance that allows me to have a second shot at life, and with that life I intend to live it to the fullest and go after all of my dreams and aspirations.”