The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree prepares students for the general practice of social work with diverse individuals, families, groups, and communities. Building on a person-in-environment perspective, the curriculum is designed to develop knowledge of human behavior and social problems as well as critical thinking, assessment, problem solving, and evaluative skills.
The 120-hour online program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Please note: This program is only available to Arkansas residents.Request Info Apply Now
- Enrollment Term: Fall Semester
- BSW Application Deadline: February 1st
- This program is only available to Arkansas residents. To be fully admitted into this program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be formally admitted to UA Little Rock. Undergraduate admission requirements for the university can be found in our “Become a Student” section.
- Complete academic advising by LaShonda Norfolk in the CEHP Advising & Support Center.
- Completion of PSYC 2300, SOCI 2300, and SOWK 1301 and have at least a 2.5 GPA in these 3 courses.
- Submit a completed BSW Application by the application deadline.
- Students my apply to enroll in UA Little Rock to obtain sophomore status and complete the program prerequisite courses during any term. The BSW program begins Fall semester each year.
In addition to the admission and university core requirements, students admitted to the BSW program are required to take:
• 35 credits of core courses.
• 50 credits of BSW courses.
• 3 credits of upper level RHET courses as approved by your adviser.
• 3 credits of Abnormal Psychology.
• SPCH 1300.
• 12 credits of electives (all of which must be upper level courses in a related field).
- Students must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 in all social work courses and a cumulative UA Little Rock GPA of 2.5.
- Students must also successfully complete an internship during their senior year that consists of approximately 16 hours per week for both the fall and spring semesters.
- Students may be dismissed from the program if they violate the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics, the University’s rules and regulations on academic integrity and discipline, state or federal laws, and/or the Standards of Conduct explicated in the UA Little Rock BSW Handbook.
Learn more about the online BSW degree requirements on the Social Work website.
To declare your major as Social Work and for pre-admit advising, please contact the CEHP Advising Center.
The BSW program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
UA Little Rock is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, affiliated with the Electronic Campus of the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), and designated as “doctoral/research intensive” by the Carnegie Foundation.
UA Little Rock makes every effort to meet special accommodation and access needs. For information on specific accommodations for individuals with disabilities, you may contact the department sponsoring the class you wish to attend, call eLearning at 501.569.3003, or the Office of Disability Support Services at 501.569.3143. The Disability Support Services website provides information about the accommodation process and online forms to apply for services.
University Standard Core Courses (18-21 hours)
Please note: Developmental courses are only available through the main campus and must be completed prior to declaring an online program.
First Year Experience (Choose 3 hours)
College of Business students may take BSAD 1100 for equivalent.
Communication – Written (Choose 3 - 6 hours)
(Select 1 set)
RHET 1311 AND RHET 1312
RHET 1320 Honors Composition
Fine Arts (Choose 3 hours)
Humanities (Choose 3 hours)
Social Sciences (Choose 3 hours)
PSYC 2300 is recommended for College of Business students.
History of Civilization (Choose 3 hours)
College Core Courses (14 hours)
Science (Choose 8 hours)
Mathematics (Choose 3 hours)
Flex (Choose 3 hours)
Any additional Humanities from the Standard Core Humanities list
Any additional Social Sciences from the Standard Core Humanities list
Required Courses (68 hours)
Program Prerequisites (Choose 9 hours)
Please note: Prior to admission to the program, students must take PSYC 2300 Psychology and the Human Experience, SOCI 2300 Introduction to Sociology, and SOWK 1301 Introduction to Social Work and have at least a 2.5 GPA in these 3 courses.
Social Work Foundations Courses (Choose 33 hours)
Social Work Field Courses (Choose 14 hours)
Non-BSW Required Courses (Choose 6 hours)
In addition to PSYC 3360 Abnormal Psychology, students must choose one of the following upper-level rhetoric courses.
Upper Level Related Field Electives (Choose 12 hours)
These courses include, but are not limited to, 3000 or 4000 level courses in Gerontology, Political Science, Sociology and Anthropology, Psychology, Criminal Justice, Human Services Administration, Health Sciences, & Public Administration.