The math & science training incorporates STEM designed investigations. You will empower your students through science by teaching them to observe and problem solves using a real-world application of mathematical concepts.
SCIENCE SUMMER PD WORKSHOPS
APRIL 6, 2020:
- 1 Day Science Mock Reading Workshop
- REGISTER for the 1-Day AP Science Mock Reading
- June 23-26, 2020, Farmington High School
- June 29-July 2, 2020, Maumelle High School
- July 14-17, 2020, Bryant Junior High School
- PDF of AR AIMS Summer Flier
- REGISTER for the Summer 2020 PAP/LTF Science Workshop
- REGISTER for the NEW Bridging Algebra 1 & Physical Science Workshop
February 2020 Science News
- AR AIMS held the third of five planned Saturday Student Prep Sessions at Phillips County Community College on February 15. Schools served were Brinkley High School, Central High School (Helena/West Helena), KIPP Delta, Barton-Lexa High School, Marvell-Elaine High School, and Lee County High School. Teachers from these schools also attended and continue to praise the work done with their students. Teachers also appreciate sitting in on the classes and observing master teachers at work.
- Science is gearing up for a Mock Reading to be held on April 6. CollegeBoard has published new guidelines for all science classes (and in some cases changed the design of the AP exam). This has required extensive work to make sure that the mock exam in each content matches the new test.
- Registration links are up for our summer LTF Infused professional development and these are being promoted by our consultants on their visits to schools. Science PD is being offered at three different locations, in conjunction with English and maths training. New to science this summer is our new Bridging Algebra 1 and Physical Science Training. This is a two-day training for teams of teachers and will be held at the same time as our other four day workshops.
- Debbie Bilyeu, Science Director, and Summer Vaught, Math Director, presented information about the Algebra 1/Physical Science training at the AGATE Convention earlier this month. In addition to presenting the goals of the program, they led an activity to demonstrate how algebra 1 and physical science share many of the same standards.
- The AR AIMS elementary LTF team, Laurie Baldridge and Lucia Turner, also presented at AGATE, sharing information about summer training for teachers of math, science, English and social studies in grades three through five. They demonstrated an activity linking all four disciplines in an integrated approach to make content more interesting and relevant to students.
- The big push for science in the spring will be to make sure teachers and students are ready for the AP exams. To help with this AR AIMS is having a Student Study Session on May 2 at the U of A. Debbie Bilyeu, Science Director, has taken the lead in organizing this, but it will be offered in English and math content also. The U of A is providing lecture halls, snacks, and lunch. We expect upward of 120 students. Many districts (Russellville, Fort Smith, Booneville) are sending buses.
January 2020 Science News
- This past semester science consultants made 138 school visits to Active AR AIMS Partner Schools and during each visit, they met with 2-5 AP and PAP science teachers.
- The AP Science 2-Day Content Workshops on Oct 28-29, 2019, received very positive exit surveys. 93% of the teachers surveyed stated that this workshop was more beneficial than other workshops they’d attended!
- AP Google SITES are being updated and expanded with new unit exams, labs, and projects.
- PAP Science 2.0 Workshop will be offered summer 2020 in PAP 6th, 7th, PhySci, Biology, Chemistry, and Regular Chemistry. This is the 4th year offering this training with 1000 AR teachers already utilizing these resources. This 2nd Year Workshop, “PAP Science 2.0”, was developed to provide a new unit focus that has been demanded by teachers who have already attended year 1.
- A New Algebra 1 and Physical Science PD resource is being vetted in pilot schools and will be available for training this summer, 2020.