Trojans with Children

Paying for College

UA Little Rock Resources

Scholarship, Grant, and Loan Information

A scholarship is an award of financial aid for a student to further their education. Scholarships are awarded based upon various criteria, which usually reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award.

The financial aid office is located on the second floor of the Donaldson Student Services Center. Click here to learn more about scholarships, eligibility requirements, and other financial aid options available at UA Little Rock.

A Pell Grant is a subsidy the U.S. federal government provides for students who need it to pay for college. Federal Pell Grants are limited to students with financial need, who have not earned their first bachelor’s degree, or who are enrolled in certain post-baccalaureate programs through participating institutions

A student loan is a type of loan designed to help students pay for post-secondary education and associated fees, such as tuition, books and supplies, and living expenses.

Read more about federal student loans and Pell Grants in the section below titled “Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)”. A FAFSA application must be completed in order to be eligible for any financial assistance, including most scholarships.

If you have questions regarding scholarships, grants, loans, or how to apply for any of these, the UA Little Rock Financial Aid Office can be contacted via email at or by phone at (501) 569-3035.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) website is used to apply for federal Pell Grants and student loans. In order to receive any financial assistance, a free application for federal student aid must be completed.

Many departments at UA Little Rock offer scholarships specifically for single parents. Contact the head of your department for more information.

Book Grants

Each year, the UA Little Rock bookstore awards up to 20 eligible students with book grants of $500 each. Recipients are determined based on academic achievements, leadership, community service, and financial need. For more information, contact the bookstore manager at (501) 569-3245 or at

Community Resources

Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund

The Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund offers scholarships and discretionary money to single parents to aid in the payment of tuition, gas, childcare, rent, food, utilities, etc. It also provides referrals for career or financial planning, mentoring, living assistance, and more. Funds and referrals are personalized for each individual.

The Custody X Change Giving Fund

The Custody X Change Giving Fund is a scholarship fund for full-time students with primary custody of at least one child under the age of 18.

The Philanthropic Educational Organization Educational Loan Fund

The Philanthropic Educational Organization (P.E.O.) Educational Loan Fund (ELF) makes loans available to qualified women who desire a higher education and are in need of financial assistance. All applicants for the ELF must be recommended by a local chapter of the P.E.O. Sisterhood. The current rate of interest is 2 percent. Follow the link above for more information.

The Philanthropic Educational Organization Program for Continuing Education

The Philanthropic Educational Organization (P.E.O.) Program for Continuing Education, established in 1973, is a need-based grant program providing one-time financial assistance to women whose education has been interrupted and who find it necessary to return to school to complete a degree or certification that improves their marketable skills for employment to support themselves and/or their families. Follow the link above for more information.


UA Little Rock Resources

Campus Living

UA Little Rock owns several houses in the Oak Forest neighborhood that are available for student families to rent. Campus Living is located at 3101 S. Taylor St. in the Commons building off of Trojan Ln. They can be contacted via email at or by phone at (501) 661-1743.

Community Resources

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website includes applications for subsidized housing, public housing, and housing choice vouchers.


Community Resources

DHS-Division of Childcare and Early Childhood Education

There are several childcare options available within the University District. Visit the DHS-Division of Childcare and Early Childhood Education website to find a listing of child care programs and services available in Arkansas. The website also provides information regarding child care assistance.

Academic and Support Services

UA Little Rock Resources

Academic Advising – Services for You Page

The Academic Advising – Services for You page offers a list of academic and support services available to students such as tutoring and career services.

Career Center

The Career Center helps students prepare for internships and job opportunities. Services include resume and cover letter assistance and the Trojan Career Closet, which provides access to professional clothing free of charge to students. The Career Center is located in Suite 112 of the Education building. It can be reached via email at or by calling (501) 569-3584.

Free Bus Pass

Thanks to a partnership with the Rock Region METRO, UA Little Rock employees and students are able to ride the bus transit for free, using the Trojans U-Pass. Each employee and student can go to the I.D. Card Office – room 114 on the lower level of the Donaghey Student Center – to pick up their Trojans U-Pass. The Trojans U-Pass is a sticker that will go on your UA Little Rock ID card. This sticker is all you need to use the bus system for free. Click here for more information or to find a bus route.

Free Tax Preparation

The UA Little Rock College of Business offers free tax preparation each year for families that generally make less than $54,000 a year, people with disabilities, and limited English-speaking taxpayers. For more information, contact the College of Business at (501) 575-3638.

Legal Clinic at UA Little Rock William H. Bowen School of Law

The Legal Clinic at UA Little Rock William H. Bowen School of Law offers a variety of pro-bono legal services to the Little Rock Community. These services include consumer protection, tax assistance, mediation, and litigation services. For more information, please contact Professor Kelly Browe-Olson at or (501) 324-9452.

Multicultural Center

The Multicultural Center at UA Little Rock provides culturally sensitive education and programming to aid students in personal growth and education. This programming also encourages a culture of respect and inclusion. For more information, please contact the UA Little Rock Diversity Council at (501) 569-8668.

Student Experience Center

The Student Experience Center is a place where students can go to find information about campus events, organizations, and programs. The student experience center is located in Room 216 of the Donaghey Student Center and can be reached via email at or by calling (501) 569-3308.

Community Resources

Arkansas Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA)

The Transitional Employment Assistance Program helps economically needy families with children under the age of 18 become more responsible for the support of their families. In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of Arkansas, either pregnant or responsible for a child under 18 years of age, a U.S. national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed, or about to become unemployed. Follow the link above to a PDF version of the application for SNAP benefits and TEA. The link also provides information on the programs and their requirements.

Health and Wellness

UA Little Rock Resources

Health Services

UA Little Rock offers a variety of different health services to students including primary care, women’s health services, and sexually transmitted infection screening and treatment. Health Services is located in Room 102 of the Donaghey Student Center and can be reached via email at or by calling (501) 569-3188.

Counseling Services

UA Little Rock Counseling Services offers counseling to students who are struggling with self-esteem, stress management, adjusting to college, having relationship issues, and more. The counseling center also offers services for people currently serving in the military and veterans. The first 10 counseling sessions are free for students. They are located in the Student Services Center, Suite 118, and can be reached via telephone at (501) 569-3185.

Community Resources

Arkansas Children’s Hospital

Arkansas Children’s Hospital serves children from birth to age 21 and is one of the largest children’s hospitals in the United States. Offering both emergency services and acute care as well as preventative and well-child care, the hospital is located at 1 Children’s Way, Little Rock, AR 72202 and can be contacted by calling (501) 364-1100.

12th Street Health and Wellness Center

The 12th Street Health and Wellness Center is a UAMS student-run free health clinic which provides a range of services, including disease and medication management, basic dental screenings, health screenings, education, and immunizations. The Center is located at 4010 West 12th Street, Little Rock, AR 72204 and can be reached by phone at (501) 614-2492.

Planned Parenthood

Planned Parenthood provides affordable health care options including cholesterol screenings, flu vaccinations, blood pressure screenings, birth control and testing for sexually transmitted diseases. The health center is located at 5921 West 12th Street, Suite C in Little Rock. Their phone number is (501) 666-7526.

Pulaski County Health Unit-Central Little Rock

The Central Little Rock Branch of the Pulaski County Health Unit is located at 3915 West 8th St. and can be reached at (501) 280-3100.

Pulaski County Health Unit-North Little Rock

The North Little Rock Branch of the Pulaski County Health Unit is located at 2800 North Willow St. and can be contacted by calling (501) 791-8551.

Pulaski County Health Unit-Southwest Little Rock

The Southwest Little Rock Branch of the Pulaski County Health Unit is located at 8901 Dailey Drive and can be contacted by phone at (501) 565-9311.

Little Rock Community Mental Health Center (LRCMHC)

The Little Rock Community Mental Health Center provides an array of services and programs to meet the behavioral health needs of the community. The Center accepts most insurances, but also offers a range of options, such as sliding scale fees, for individuals who may need assistance in paying for services. LRCMHC is located at 1100 N. University Avenue, Suites 200, 201 & 240 and can be reached by calling (501) 686-9300.

Food Pantries

UA Little Rock Resources

Trojan Food Pantry

The Trojan Food Pantry is located in the Admin North Building and is available for students to use free of charge. Fill out a New User Application or learn more about the pantry at the link above. The pantry can also be contacted via email at or by calling (501) 596-8240.

Community Resources

Arkansas Food Bank

Visit the Arkansas Food Bank website for a comprehensive list of food banks in the state.

Affordable, Family-Friendly Activities

UA Little Rock Activities

UA Little Rock Campus Garden

The UA Little Rock Campus Garden is a place for education, research, and outreach about food production, sustainability, economic botany, ecology and more. The Garden contains a variety of spaces, including: vegetable gardens, Arkansas native plant gardens, composting, and a hugelkultur mound! All UA Little Rock community members are invited and encouraged to become a campus gardener! Follow the link above for more information about the Campus Garden.

UA Little Rock Sporting Events

Students at UA Little Rock can attend sporting events free of charge. Click here for more information about UA Little Rock Athletics and their schedules.

Community Activities and Events

Arkansas Arts Center

The Arkansas Arts Center is home to an international collection of art as well as art classes, lectures, films, and much more. The Arts Center offers free, family events from 12 PM to 3 PM on the second Sunday of every month.

Central Arkansas Library System (CALS)

The Central Arkansas Library System has many branches located across Central Arkansas. They offer a variety of free services and activities for adults and children each month. Click on the link above to find your local CALS branch.

Heifer Village

Heifer Village is a hands-on, global education facility with interactive exhibits for people of all ages. They offer a variety of free family-friendly events each month. Follow the link to their website for more information.

Little Rock Zoo

The Little Rock Zoo is home to over 700 animals that represent a large variety of species including rhinos, tigers, and reptiles. Admission to the zoo is free for children ages 2 and under, $9.95 for children ages 3-12, and $12.95 for children and adults age 13 and older. The Little Rock Zoo occasionally offers free admission and special events.

Museum of Discovery

The Museum of Discovery in downtown Little Rock has over 90 exhibits and a number of educational programs that are sure to spark an interest in children and adults of all ages. Admission to the Museum of Discovery is free for children under the age of 12 months, $8 for children 12 and under, and $10 for children and adults age 13 or older. SNAP benefits recipients can show their EBT card and a valid state-issued ID at the museum front desk to receive $2 general admission for the cardholder and five additional people.

The Old Mill

The Old Mill is a re-creation of a water-powered grist mill from the late 1800s. It was featured in the opening scenes of the movie, “Gone with the Wind,” and offers visitors a glimpse of history as well as a great opportunity for photographs. Admission to the Old Mill is free.

Riverfront Park

Riverfront Park is located on LaHarpe Boulevard in Downtown Little Rock and is home to the Junction Bridge, Margaret Clark Adventure Park, Peabody Splash Park, and many more attractions. Admission to Riverfront Park is free.

Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center

The Witt Stephens Jr. Nature Center has a variety of exhibits that are focused on outdoor recreational activities. Admission to the Nature Center is free.


If you have any questions regarding this website, please contact the College of Education and Health Professions at (501) 569-3113.