Anti-Hunger Group Featured on ONE Website

Student organizers of UALR’s Poverty Awareness Week this spring are featured on the website of ONE, the international grassroots campaign and advocacy organization backed by two million people committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease.

A photograph of the UALR group is featured this week on the ONE website.

Co-founded by rock legend Bono and others, ONE is nonpartisan and works closely with African policy makers and activists.

Members of UALR’s international studies honor society, Sigma Iota Rho, held a week-long series of events this semester culminating in a documentary film festival.

Other activities included a bake sale to raise money for anti-hunger projects, a food drive, and a canned-goods drive donated to the Arkansas Rice Depot.

“Throughout the week we also had guest speakers and a blood drive on campus. Many professors brought their students to one or more of our films, which really generated a lot of interest,” said Samantha Platte, a member of Arkansas ONE. “I know I had a lot of questions and interest in ONE, so I hope that students will follow through and sign up on the website or Facebook! I know we have a lot more Arkansans sporting the white ONE bands now.”