Students Get In on the Act

He’s a liberal studies and theatre minor graduate now studying for a master’s in liberal arts. She took theatre and dance classes, and is majoring in construction management. And this summer, Jeff Wright and Natalie Clark both donned hardhats and joined crews renovating UALR’s University Theatre in the Center for the Performing Arts.

Wright, a graduate student from Little Rock, and Clark, a sophomore from North Little Rock, worked with the construction firm, Mainstage Theatrical Supply, revamping the stage at the theatre, including a massive tear down of the old rigging and installation of a partially motorized stage-rigging system.

“The rigging system is the network of pulleys and cables that allow us to ‘fly’ in and out the various drops, backgrounds, or other set pieces you see during the play,” Wright said. “My biggest role in the renovation was to basically spend many hours 50 feet in the air and tear out and reinstall new pulleys known as blocks.”

Besides gaining an extensive knowledge of a rigging system, Wright experienced personal growth.

“I overcame a distinct fear of heights, at least as it pertains to standing 50 feet in the air,” he said.

Wright became involved in the renovation through his relationship with the theatre faculty.

“I’d held a variety of roles with the department in various productions, and our technical director knew of my interests in the technical aspects of theater,” he said.

Clark decided to major in construction management, but she is leaning towards building things for the stage and film sets. She signed up for the summer construction project after taking a theatre class in stage production and meeting theatre faculty.

“I don’t want to build buildings — but sets in Hollywood,” she said. “I talked to a construction coordinator in Hollywood who told me that a degree helps, but it’s experience that counts.”

Clark’s main tasks included measuring and cutting aircraft cable, which connect the arbors to the battens or pipes and putting all the shackles on the tops of the arbors.

“What I’m learning is definitely pointing me in the right direction as to what I want to do as a career,” she said, “I really love theater and love being there.”

The summer renovation projects didn’t stop at the stage. Two classrooms in the Center for Performing Arts were overhauled with new technology that will give students experience in real-world applications in the theater profession.

“Room 225 is a design laboratory and is now equipped with state-of-the-art computers and software for the study of scenic, lighting, and costume design,” said Jay Raphael, chair of the Theatre Arts and Dance Department. “Room 226 is a classroom used primarily for the Introduction to Theatre and Dance courses, which are integral to the University’s core curriculum.”

Both rooms are outfitted with the latest audio/visual teaching technologies, including high resolution digital projectors, brand new computers, Blu-ray players, and sound systems.

“Our students will be learning on equipment that more closely approximates what they will find and are asked to be knowledgeable about in the professional workplace,” he said.

The renovations will be complete when the UALR campus opens for the fall semester on Thursday, Aug. 19.