Experiencing Paris: From Tower to Triomphe

If you missed part one of my study abroad trip to Paris, read “Experiencing Paris: One Croissant at a Time.”

When we weren’t stuffing our faces with fine French food, our group of seven students was enjoying the sights and soaking in as much as we could. It’s safe to say I walked more in that week than I probably have in my entire life. But it was the best way to see Paris. I loved simply walking the streets and noticing all the little details.

Of course, the big details were impressive as well.

When visiting the iconic Eiffel Tower, a cheesy picture is required.

We also spent some time in Notre Dame where it was nice to sit in peace away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

The Louvre was another historic place we visited. It was pretty amazing to stand mere feet away from the Mona Lisa. The painting was much smaller in person, though still captivating.

My favorite place we visited was one I had actually never heard of prior to being in Paris. We took the metro out to Montmartre and climbed the hundreds of steps up to Sacre Coeur, the “Basilica of the Sacred Heart.” This basilica is located on the highest point in Paris. Needless to say, the view was amazing.

Sacre Coeur is simply beautiful, with its white travertine domes set against the blue sky. We took advantage of the view and sat on the steps to people watch.

When we weren’t contemplating the significance of being in such a historical place, we were spending Euros on pictures with a fake statue.

It was money well spent.

One of our final destinations was to the Arc de Triomphe, another iconic place in Paris. We again climbed hundreds of steps up to the very top, where we had a breathtaking view of the city.

It was amazing to look around and see all the places we had been that week. Everywhere I looked was a memory.

Clockwise from top: The Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur, and the Champs-Elysees

I hope that if you have the opportunity to visit Paris, you’ll jump at the chance and make rich memories as I did. Traveling abroad as a student was something I will never forget, and I’m grateful the Department of Speech Communication offered this class. I try to tell everyone I know to visit Paris at least once in his or her life. As Audrey Hepburn said in Sabrina, “Paris is always a good idea.”