UALR business student receives scholarship

headshot of Kelly Kirkpatrick

A University of Arkansas at Little Rock student is the recipient of a scholarship from the Southwest Association of Rail Shippers.

Kelly Kirkpatrick, business management major and assistant manager at American Truck & Rail Audits, Inc., received $2,000 for the George J. Elking, Jr. Scholarship. In October, the company will send Kirkpatrick to the conference in Glendale, Arizona, where the scholarship recipients will be recognized.

This scholarship will be immensely helpful,” Kirkpatrick said. “For the first time since I began college, I will not have to take out any loans, which is a huge relief.”

Southwest Association of Rail Shippers is an association that provides an open forum for railroads and shippers to meet and discuss matters of mutual interest. Each year, the association provides scholarships to qualified applicants on a competitive basis.

Undergraduate college students in good standing and college-bound high school seniors residing in the association’s geographical territories are eligible. Recipients are selected based on academic performance, community involvement, employment history, and financial status.

The scholarship stipend is a one-time disbursement typically ranging from $500 to $2,000 as determined by the scholarship committee.

“I am incredibly grateful to SWARS for awarding me this scholarship,” said Kirkpatrick. “I never applied to many of these, because I always assumed that I would not receive one. I guess it goes to show that it is always worth the effort.”