Passport and Visas

Study Abroad students often deal with the unexpected as they experience new cultures and lifestyles. Studying abroad can be a defining period in your  educational experience — transforming you into a global thinker with international attitudes, and putting you a step ahead of the competition in the eyes of prospective employers.  In spite of all the potential benefits, however, you may be experiencing mixed feelings about study abroad, including excitement about the opportunity, fear of what might go wrong, and stress about being away from what you call home. Remember that these feeling are normal for many international travelers.

Passports and Visas

passport is required for everyone traveling out of the country. Many times this can be a time consuming process, so taking care of this early on in your travel preparations is the best idea. Keep in mind that all students studying outside of the U.S. will need to have a passport before departure and a copy of your passport will be needed in the UA Little Rock Office of Study Abroad.

Download the application for a US Passport and apply in person at the Laman Library in North Little Rock. (Laman Library is a full-service acceptance facility that has Saturday hours.)

visa is permission granted to foreign visitors to enter a country provided the visitor presents the proper documents at the port of entry. This permission is in the form of a stamp placed in your passport. Visas can be obtained from the embassy of the country you wish to visit. Usually you will complete the necessary forms and send your passport, application form, and additional requested information to the consulate located in the U.S. Other information may include proof of health insurance, admission letter from host institution, and/or financial verification of bank accounts. Visit the US Department of State’s travel website to check whether you will need a visa to study in your host country.