As of May 2020, the dance program is no longer accepting applicants or major declarations.
NOTE: Currently-declared dance majors will be able to complete their degree requirements through teach-out agreements. Contact Dr. Jeremy Ecke > for more information.
The UA Little Rock Dance program offers the only Dance B.F.A. degree in the state of Arkansas, access to training from nationally recognized faculty and guest artists, and numerous opportunities for connecting to the professional world of dance at home and abroad. Our students are immersed in rigorous technical training, theatre and dance performances both on and off-campus, and challenging theory and design courses to integrate a fuller understanding of dance as a performing art.
UA Little Rock Dance offers a supportive and risk-driven environment where you can identify and achieve your goals as a performer, choreographer, teacher, studio owner, arts administrator, or designer. Each student is guided by their academic advisor and faculty mentors to help them uncover a path for success in the area of their personal passion. Students may aspire to a career as a performer, subsequent graduate school training, or completing a second major in another field of interest. We support the exploration of diverse viewpoints and stretching the boundaries of both the individuals and art form. For information about the B.F.A. or B.A. in Dance, contact Dr. Jeremy Ecke >
Student Learning Goals for Academic Program
At the end of this program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate mastery of movement vocabularies with appropriate energy, style, and detail
- Choreograph with an embodied understanding of space, time, and energy
- Receive and implement feedback, and self-assess in order to improve subsequently
personal and professional endeavor
- Articulate, enunciate and conceptualize ideas, both verbally and in formal written
- Relate dance to the artistic, social, historical, and cultural aspects of the larger world
Highlights of the program include:
- Classes in ballet, modern, jazz, and tap
- All required courses taught by full-time faculty
- Guaranteed performance opportunities each year for all BFA/BA dance majors
- Dedicated and celebrated integration of theatre and dance
- Talent and need-based scholarships
- Study abroad opportunities at Accademia dell’Arte in Arezzo, Tuscany, Italy
- American College Dance Association annual conference attendance
- Partnership with Arkansas’s foremost professional ballet company, Ballet Arkansas