Hispanic Heritage Month: Laura Barrio-Vilar

Hispanic Heritage Month is the annual celebration of the histories, cultures, and contributions of the U.S. Hispanic and Latinx communities. Initially celebrated as Hispanic Heritage Week, in 1988 the U.S. government established September 15 through October 15 as Hispanic Heritage Month. During this 30-day celebration, we highlight the richness and beauty of our communities, which include individuals whose roots are linked to 20 Hispanic countries and one territory: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, and Venezuela. Whereas all these communities have language, culture, food, and history in common, it is also important to acknowledge the unique dialects, traditions, cuisine, and material conditions inherent to each of these diverse cultures, along with their racial and ethnic diversity.

For me, Hispanic Heritage Month is not only a period of celebration, community-building, and joy, but also a time for self-reflection and learning. Participating in colorful and cheerful events that celebrate Hispanic and Latinx cultures by showcasing delicious dishes, great music, lively dances, and vibrant traditional clothes is the first of many steps in experiencing the richness of our cultures. Learning about key historical figures and present-day leaders in our communities is also important. However, to truly learn about our cultures, experiences, and contributions to society, it is essential to develop meaningful relationships, working side by side, and collaborating with individuals of Hispanic and Latinx descent.

Over the past few decades, Arkansas has experienced a significant increase in the percentage of Hispanic and Latinx population living in the state. Little Rock is lucky to have a strong Hispanic and Latinx community comprised of U.S.-born individuals and folks from Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Spain, etc. that have decided to make Arkansas their home. Right here, at UA Little Rock, not only can you meet and get to know students, faculty, and staff of Hispanic and Latinx descent, but you can also learn about our cultures by taking courses in Spanish, Latin American history, and literature, for example.

As a member of the Hispanic community, I appreciate and participate in the celebratory nature of Hispanic Heritage Month, but I also feel a responsibility to educate others and myself throughout the year. Because I was born in Spain, I must acknowledge and grapple with the role that imperialism has played in the development of Hispanic and Latinx communities. I am fortunate to teach courses that highlight racial and ethnic diversity, alongside with gender, sexuality, class, citizenship, and other key identity factors. As a result, I regularly engage in conversations that challenge my students AND myself to consider the histories, material conditions, social progress, and contributions of minoritized peoples in the United States and around the world. I take pride in being one of several multilingual faculty of Hispanic descent on this campus, who prove that Hispanic and Latinx people belong and can thrive in academia.

Dr. Laura Barrio-Vilar, Associate Professor
Posted in: Uncategorized