LGBTQIA+ History Month

LGBTQIA+ History Month holds special meaning for me—a time to reflect on our remarkable journey. While acknowledging the ongoing work ahead, I wish to share my personal reflections on what LGBTQIA+ History means to me.

Coming from a small town in Southeast Arkansas, I could hardly envision a day when LGBTQIA+ History Month would exist, let alone I would have the opportunity to write this statement for my employer.

The privilege of embracing my authentic self is a gift I cherish. Many who came before me did not enjoy this luxury, and I honor their struggles and triumphs. Facing challenges is not easy, and thankfully, I have not had to face them alone.

For me, community forms the heart of LGBTQIA+ History Month. In my circle, friends are family, united by bonds that grew out of a shared experience of feeling different for most of my life. Connecting with those who share similar experiences has been a lifeline for me. I feel less isolated and alone with them by my side. I know I will always have a community to lean on when I need it, something I know has been crucial to the survival of the LGBTQIA+ community.

I am thankful to be a member of the Safe Zone Committee which works to foster a safe and affirming environment for LGBTQIA+ members of the Trojan community. To learn more about Safe Zone visit https://ualr.edu/safezone/

Tyler Harrison

Tyler Harrison, Associate Director Academic Affairs Retention Office

Posted in: Uncategorized