K. Michelle returns with the theme of “All Monsters Are Human”

K. Michelle’s cover art for her album, All Monsters Are Human. The album was released on Jan. 31, 2020. (artwork drawn by Kenneth Reed.)

K. Michelle shows that she is true to R&B on her fifth studio album, All Monsters Are Human. This album was released on Jan. 31, following the release of her top 10 albums Kimberly: The People I Used to Know.

She is one of the few artists who rose to fame as a reality star on VH1’s hit show “Love and Hip Hop: Atlanta”. She’s always been an advocate for staying true to herself and writing music that is true to her life experiences. 

Social media played a big part in the making of All Monsters Are Human. She regularly used Instagram and its live streams to connect to her fans while recording the songs for her highly anticipated album. During this album cycle, fans got a chance to get an inside look at her creative process. 

“I have a different motto. I don’t believe you leave your fans waiting, I believe you let them hear and you see how they react,” K. Michelle said in a behind-the-scenes clip on Instagram.

The lead single, The Rain, was the first song that fans gravitated to. It samples the 1988 hit Can You Stand The Rain, originally recorded by R&B male group New Edition. Even though the original song is about a relationship standing the test of times, K.Michelle spices up her version by singing about her sexual experiences. 

The cover art of the album is not like any other cover art that she has had on her previous albums. There is a connection between the design and composition of the cover art and the title of the album. A theme of duality and good versus evil is present throughout the work.

Michelle said she believes that there is a monster in everyone and that is why she named her album All Monsters Are Human.

“Everybody is a villain to somebody. In somebody’s story, you’re not an angel so all monsters are human. We all have been hurt and hurt,” K. Michelle said during a radio interview with The Morning Hustle. 

Michelle heavily touches on relationships and everything that comes with them; the good, the bad and the ugly.  She sits down and writes songs that stem from real-life experiences. Topics on this album include love, sex, infidelity, heartbreak and revenge.

On this album, she has songs that are lyrically driven, like Can’t Let (You Get Away) and Just Like Jay. One song that lyrically stands out on the album is The Worst. She sings: “I know she comes first and that’s the part that hurts, boy loving you is the worst.” 

In an Instagram post, she explained that there can be a situation where a guy moves on after a breakup but a woman can still have love for him. Seeing a man that you’ve spent time with being a better man for another woman could hurt. Even though there isn’t a relationship anymore, you’ve created memories together.

This is the type of music that K. Michelle has been making since she entered the music industry. Throughout her discography, it is safe to say that she is a fan of creating real R&B music. This album puts a confirmation on the statement that R&B is not dead. 

Other songs like Love on Me and Supahood give the album an uptempo and light vibe to complement the heartfelt songs that reign throughout the album.

All Monsters Are Human has received good feedback since its debut. Her honesty and vulnerability connect with fans on a personal level. Due to her undeniable talent and solid fanbase, the album hit the number one R&B album in the country with over 20 million streams.

Posted in: Album Reviews, Entertainment
Read more about: , , , ,

Comments are closed.