Linda Pine is remembered by UALR

Linda Pine, an assistant professor emeritus of Ottenheimer Library at UA Little Rock and former senior archivist with the Center for Arkansas History and Culture, passed away Sept. 17 after fighting a lengthy illness. She was beloved by so many people, including many of her coworkers. 

J.B. Hill, director of Ottenheimer Library, worked with Linda for five years and was fond of her work and wisdom. 

“She was very detailed and extremely knowledgable about both Arkansas and university history; consequently, she was a tremendous resource person for researchers and administrators on campus,” he said.

A Boulder, Colorado native, Linda moved to Arkansas and earned a bachelor’s degree in history and political science from Hendrix College in 1978. She then went on to be the third person to graduate from the public history master’s program at UA Little Rock in 1986. 

Linda joined the university staff in 1983 after working from 1980-1983 at the Democrat-Gazette as chief marker/indexer and researcher in the news library. Pine later became part of the faculty in 1991, serving numerous positions during her admirable 30-year career. Some positions included Head of Archives and Special Collection and Director of Archives at Ottenheimer Library. She brought so much knowledge and intelligence to the Ottenheimer Library. 

“[She was] outspoken, very intelligent, and knew her facts about Arkansas history,” Carol Macheak, research and scholarly communications coordinator, said. “I still think of her as my go-to-person for questions on Arkansas history.” 

Throughout her years at UA Little Rock, many faculty and staff saw her as more than a coworker. Bill Taylor, associate professor recalls some of her best qualities. 

“Linda Pine was more than just another UALR colleague,” he said. “She was a true friend. She became one of my strongest supporters and most trusted employees. I shall miss her greatly.”

Linda will be remembered as a wonderful and intelligent coworker, great cook, and selfless citizen for her impact and volunteering in various organizations around town, specifically the League of Women Voters of Pulaski County and the Old State House Museum. 

UA Little Rock was lucky to have such a witty, brilliant, and devoted professor as Linda Pine. She will be dearly missed by everyone that knew her and worked with her. 

Posted in: Featured, Features

Comments are closed.