Diversity Matters: UA Little Rock’s Diversity Report

This month, the Diversity Council at UA Little Rock organized numerous virtual events to celebrate diversity. I enjoyed each of the virtual events that I attended and was able to gather valuable information. 

While attending these virtual events, I realized that the topic of diversity has a lot more depth than I thought. After doing further research I discovered that there are many segments of diversity such as gender, religion and ethnicity. For instance, with transgender people feeling more comfortable as themselves, it has shifted the norm of gender identification around the world. A non-binary or transgender identification option will most likely become a permanent gender selection option on applications and legal documentation in the near future. 

Furthermore, there are many religions around the world that have different physical expressions of God. Some of these religions are Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Yoruba, Santeria etc. Another person’s different version of God could be seen as the devil to another, which is why the diversity of religion is being revolutionized. The world is constantly evolving, making ethnic diversity a popular demand. Despite our different shades of skin tones, we are all human and breathe the same oxygen. In other words, all ethnics groups are diverse and have a unique history, nobody is better than the other. 

While the UA Little Rock racial diversity is high, due to the absence of a non-binary or transgender selection option on UALR admission applications, the gender diversity is low. According to College Simply, UALR racial demographics are 52% White, 27% Black, 7% Hispanic, 2% Asian, 2% international and 9% two or more races. Whereas, the gender demographics at UALR are simply 62% women and 38% men. As I stated before, the world is rapidly evolving each decade. Therefore, there will most likely be an increase in UALR’s racial and gender demographics throughout the next few decades. 

UA Little Rock’s Diversity Council was established to make a change and create a diverse community on campus. It is interesting to know what the Diversity Council will do to expand diversity on campus for the next ten to twenty years. In addition, the Diversity Council has a “Live & Learn” series that addresses diversity topics. To share topics about diversity like religion or ethnicity, you must fill out a form online and the Diversity Council will contact you. Also, if you would like to become a member of the Diversity Council or want to nominate someone, the deadline to send a letter to the chancellor is April 1st.

Diversity Council Live and Learn Form

Office of chancellor contact information

Diversity Council

Posted in: Campus Life, Commentary, Entertainment, Featured
Read more about: ,

Comments are closed.