Dr. Maya Angelou-Black Excellence

Numerous iconic African-American women have touched millions of hearts via their words and presence.  One of those amazing women is the inspirational writer Dr. Maya Angelou. At age 40, she published her book “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” which became the first non-fiction best-seller by an African-American woman.

She was born on April 04, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri however; Dr. Angelou spent her early childhood in the rural town of Stamps, Arkansas. Dr. Angelou endured the bitterness and stench of racism in the South.  Her innocence was stolen from her when she was seven years old. The retaliation she witnessed by her uncles toward her rapist left a scar in her life. She refused to speak for five years and found refuge through poetry. 

A voice that once lay dormant rose to a frequency that broke down barriers in the Civil Rights movement.  She loved the arts and learned to dance and sing on a professional level. When I was in high school, I remember listening to her cite her poem “Still I Rise.” Through time and space, those words have remained an inspiration to rise out of any unpleasant situation.

In January of 2021, Barbie Mattel released a new barbie doll in the image of Dr. Maya Angelou, which sold out online within the first five days. Moreover, the “Maya Angelou Doll” is part of the toymaker’s “Inspiring Women Series” collection. Dr. Angelou once said that, “You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgotten – it’s all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive.” Despite her passing in 2014, her essence continues to live on. Rest in peace, Dr. Maya Angelou.

If you would like to purchase the “Maya Angelou Doll” from Barbie Mattel, the link is below.

The Maya Angelou Doll by Barbie Mattel

Posted in: Commentary, Entertainment, News
Read more about: , , , , ,