Undergraduate Programs

We currently offer two programs, a BS in Physics and a BA in Physics. We also offer a minor in Astronomy and a minor in Physics.

BS in Physics

The Bachelor of Science degree prepares students for admission to graduate work in physics or astronomy. Students desiring a career in astronomy normally major in physics. The Bachelor of Science with a major in Physics requires 36 credit hours including at least 28 credit hours of upper-level physics courses.

BA in Physics

The Bachelor of Arts degree is for students who plan to specialize in graduate school without sacrificing the advantages of a liberal arts undergraduate education. This degree is also suitable for premedical students and others who do not plan professional careers in physics, including those students pursuing a career in secondary education. Minors are also offered in physics and astronomy. The Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Physics requires at least 27 credit hours and offers the student several options. Each option includes core courses plus additional courses appropriate to the particular concentration area.

Minor in Physics

A minor in physics requires at least 18 credit hours of physics courses. At least 10 credit hours of upper-level courses are required.

Astronomy Minor

A minor in astronomy requires at least 19 credit hours of astronomy and physics courses. An additional three upper-level hours of physics or astronomy courses are required.

Education Minor and Physics Teacher Licensure

Students interested in teaching at the junior high school and high school levels in public schools across Arkansas must be licensed by the Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education in a state-approved subject area. UA Little Rock programs offered by content area departments in collaboration with the School of Education are designed to prepare students for licensure and successful entry into the teaching profession. Candidates for licensure must complete the program, pass examinations mandated by the state, complete clinical experiences in 7-12 schools or K-12 schools depending on the licensure area, and pass a criminal background check.

For more detailed information, visit the the Undergraduate Catalog.