View the Laser Safety Manual.
There are research and instructional laboratories on the UALR campus that regularly utilize Lasers. UALR requires that all lasers and laser systems be operated in a manner conducive to both the following standards:
- American National Standards Institute, (ANSI) Z136.5-2000, Standard for the Safe Use of Lasers in Educational Institutions
- ANSI Z136.1-2007, Safe Use of Lasers
UALR’s Laser Safety Committee has outlined the requirements and recommended details of laser safety, specifically detailed in the Laser Safety Manual (LSM).
What needs to be completed prior to utilizing Lasers on campus:
- Laser must be registered with EH&S and the Laser Safety Committee (see page 8 of the LSM).
- Each laser user must be complete and sign the Laser Manual Acknowledgement Form (see page 9 of the LSM).
- The research protocol covering laser usage must be reviewed and approved by the Laser Safety Committee.
- All laser users must successfully complete the online Laser Safety Training (LAS001) module.
- The appropriate laser safety administrative controls must be in place (see Section 10.0 of the LSM).
Additional questions or concerns may be addressed to EH&S, via either firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-916-6351.