Time and Absence Processing for the 2020 Winter Break
With our time and attendance system, the Payroll Office will be working within a very limited timeline to process payroll during the holiday season. Employees and managers are asked to be especially diligent in reviewing and approving time for the Nov. 30, Dec. 15, and Dec. 31 payrolls.
This year, employees will be receiving their December 31st payroll early. In order for payroll to complete the last payroll for the year, employees must do their part in submitting their timesheets/leave reports, and managers must approve their employees’ timesheet/leave reports in a timely manner. The December 31st payroll will be completed and direct deposited into employees’ bank accounts on December 23rd instead of December 31st. There will be no manual checks processed after the campus closes for the winter break on December 21st. Please ensure that all of your employees’ (including hourly employees) time worked/time off is submitted and approved by the deadlines.
Please remember that employees who work Monday through Friday may approve their time for that workweek as early as Friday mornings. It is suggested that employees approve their time when leaving work on Friday afternoons and employees who work on the weekend approve their time at the end of each shift. This will allow managers adequate time to complete their approvals by the posted deadline. Employees and managers may have to log in to Workday several times to ensure that all employees have submitted their timesheet/leave reports and the time has been approved by their manager/supervisor.
To ensure the following payrolls are processed accurately and timely, we ask that employees and managers adhere to the following deadlines:
NOVEMBER 30 PAYROLL
Work week 11/15 – 11/21: Employee must submit timesheet/leave reports and manager must approve by close of business on Friday, Nov. 20.
Workweek 11/22- 11/30: Employees who work and clock in and out must submit timesheets/leave reports, and managers must approve by 9 am on Monday, Nov. 30.
- The Thanksgiving Holiday segments will NOT be automatically entered. Employees must enter 8 hours on Nov. 26 and Nov. 27 as University Holiday, as shown on the training video sent out to all UALR employees.
- The Thanksgiving Holiday segments can be entered as early as today, but no later than Nov. 20 at 10 am.
- Workweek 11/22- 11/30: Employees who plan to take leave must enter all time off by close of business on Friday, Nov. 20.
DECEMBER 15 PAYROLL
- Workweek 12/01 – 12/05: Employees must submit, and managers must approve all timesheets by 9 am on Monday, Dec. 7.
- Workweek 12/06 – 12/12: Employees must submit, and managers must approve daily by the close of business.
- Workweek 12/13 -12/15: Employees must submit, and managers must approve daily by the close of business.
- 12/01 – 12/15 Time Period: Employees must pre-submit their time off for the entire workweeks by 2 pm on Wednesday, Dec. 9, and manager approvals are due by 5 pm on Wednesday, Dec.09.
DECEMBER 31 PAYROLL
- Time period 12/16 – 12/18: Employees who work and clock in and out must submit time by close of business on Friday, Dec. 18, and managers must approve by 9 am on Monday, Dec.21.
- Weekend shifts 12/19 and 12/20: Employees must submit their timesheets at the end of each shift, and Managers must approve by 9 am on Monday, Dec. 21.
- 12/21: Employees must submit, and managers must approve by close of business.
- Workweeks 12/20-12/26 & 12/27-12/31: Employees must pre-submit their time off and university holidays for the entire workweek by 2 pm on Wednesday, Dec. 16, and managers must approve leave and holidays by 9 am on Thursday, Dec. 17.
WINTER BREAK AND HOLIDAY LEAVE
Please ensure that the following holiday and vacation/compensatory leave hours are reflected and entered in Workday:
- December 22, 23, 24, and 25 will NOT be pre-populated. Employees must enter 8 hours for each of these days as a University Holiday, as shown on the training video sent to all UALR employees.
- Employees who are not scheduled to work over the holiday break must record 32 hours of vacation and/or compensatory leave for December 28, 29, 30, and 31. Managers, please ensure that this leave is reflected on your employees’ timesheets/leave reports.
The winter break officially begins for most employees at 5 pm on December 21 and ends on January 3. In order to be paid for all of the winter break, employees must be in a “pay” status before and after the winter break (officially at work or on approved leave).
This year employees will be required to use 32 hours of cumulative vacation and/or compensatory leave to cover days off that are not holidays, as follows: 32 hours for December 28-31. Should these hours not be earned, pay will be docked accordingly.
NOTE: YOU CANNOT USE SICK LEAVE FOR THESE DAYS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN PRE-AUTHORIZED (CATASTROPHIC LEAVE, FMLA, ETC.). IF YOU EXPERIENCE AN UNANTICIPATED HEALTH EVENT REQUIRING SICK LEAVE, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A DOCTOR’S EXCUSE.
Faculty who are 9, 10, and 10½ month will NOT need to enter annual leave for the holiday break in Workday.
The 12-month faculty will need to follow the procedure above.
All Faculty MUST enter university holiday hours.