Dr. Alexandru S. Biris has been the Chief Scientist at the Center for Integrative Nanotechnology Sciences since it began in 2005 and has served as Director since 2009. Dr. Biris leads the research at CINS, exploring the science of nanostructures that can be used to alter the properties of other substances at the atomic level. The key to Dr. Biris’s vision for CINS is its aggressive outreach program to train and educate young people and other world class scientists who will serve and attract business and industry to Arkansas from the region and the nation. Dr. Biris is also Professor in the Systems Engineering Department at the Donaghey College of Engineering and Information Technology, and is the Roy and Christine Sturgis Charitable Trust Nanotechnology Chair.
His areas of expertise include nanotechnology, Raman spectroscopy and x-ray diffraction, planetary instrumentation (Mars dust analyzer), particulate science, nanoparticle and carbon nanotube generation, nanomedicine, nanocomposite materials for space exploration, surface technology, nano-sensors and bio nano-sensors, materials science and engineering, coating technology, hydrogen interaction with metals, alloys, and carbon nanostructures.
- Ph.D. in Applied Science: Engineering Sciences & Systems, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, 2004
- M.S. in Material Science, Babes Bolyai University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 1997
- B.S. in Physics, Babes Bolyai University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 1996
Previous Research Experience
- Visiting Scientist, FDA National Center for Toxicology Research, Jefferson, Arkansas, 2003-2005
- Research Associate in Nanotechnology, UA Little Rock, 2004-2005
- Graduate Research Assistant, UA Little Rock Department of Applied Science, 1999-2003
- Research Associate, National Institute of Molecular and Isotopic Technology, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, 1997-1999
- Research Assistant, National Center for Scientific Research, Grenoble, France, 1996-1997
- Research Assistant, Crystallography Laboratory & University of Cluj-Napoca Solid State Materials Department, Romania, 1996-1997