University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Policy Name: Summer Teaching
Policy Number: LR 403.24
Effective Date: June 25, 2012
Allowable Teaching Loads and Compensation
- 12-month faculty members are expected to carry a full load in the summer. This may be all teaching or a combination of teaching and other assignments such as serving as graduate coordinator or running a lab or research center. Full-time summer teaching is generally considered to be two courses (6 hours). Overloads will be paid as extra compensation and must be approved by the provost. If a 12-month faculty member’s summer course does not meet minimum enrollment standards, the course should be cancelled and the faculty member reassigned.
- 9-month faculty members may teach two (3-hour) courses for up to 15% of their base salary. They may teach a third course if it is online for a total of 22.5% of their base salary. Exceptions may be made for faculty members teaching in accelerated online programs that run year-round. Total summer compensation may not exceed 33.5% of base salary per Board of Trustees policy. A 9-month faculty member whose summer course does not meet minimum enrollment standards, may be allowed to teach the course on a pro rated basis with the approval of the dean.
- Chairs and deans are encouraged to distribute summer teaching opportunities equitably among faculty. A third class should not be assigned to any one individual if there is another qualified faculty member who desires summer teaching and has not been given an assignment.
- In most cases, faculty members are not given extra compensation or summer pay for the exempted courses listed below.
- Directed Readings
- Directed Teaching
- Field Studies
- Independent Study
- Labs (with limited space)
- Law Journal
- Private Lessons
- Special Problems
- Special Projects
- Special Topics
- Student Teaching
*Source: Board of Trustees University-Wide Administrative Memorandum 640.1, January 7, 1983
Source: UA Board Policy 435.1, December 8, 1956 & University-wide Administrative Memo 440.5
Revised: February 22, 1976; November 18, 1977; January 31, 1992; June 25, 2012
Approved By: UA Board of Trustees, Jan. 31, 1992