Transfer of D Grades – LR 501.10

Back to Student Affairs

University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Policy Name: Transfer of D Grades
Policy Number: LR 501.10
Effective Date: July 25, 2017
Revised Dates: April 26, 2011
Most Recent Review Date: –

Non-Standard Credit Request Form


Typically only undergraduate courses with grades of C or greater from a regionally accredited institution will transfer to UA Little Rock. However, the UA Board of Trustees ruled in December 2003 that students may transfer up to six credit hours of courses with grades of D if a grade of D would be accepted for credit in the corresponding course at UA Little Rock.

However, there are exceptions to this policy:

  1. If the UA Little Rock equivalent serves as a prerequisite for other courses, and that prerequisite requires a grade higher than D, the transferred credit will not fulfill the prerequisite requirement. In this situation, the student will have to repeat the course to earn the required grade for the prerequisite. For example, General Biology 1400 or 1401 is a prerequisite for biology majors and a grade of C or better is required.
  2. If a grade higher than D is required to fulfill the requirements of a specific major or minor, the transferred credit will not fulfill major or minor requirements. In this situation, the student will have to repeat the course and earn a C or better, or earn a C or better in another course that satisfies his or her major/minor requirements. For example, the College of Business requires a C or above in MATH 1342, Business Calculus. If the student transfers a D grade in that course, the course will have to be repeated for a business major.
  3. If a D grade was earned in either of the following equivalent UA Little Rock core courses, the student will be required to repeat the course(s): RHET 1311, Composition I or RHET 1312, Composition II. These specific general education core courses require a grade of A, B, or C to satisfy the requirement. Some colleges and majors may also require a C or above in other general education core courses. For example, the College of Education requires a C or above in SPCH 1300, Speech Communication.

Please note that in the three exceptions described above, the student will have to repeat the transferred course that has a D grade and earn a grade sufficient to satisfy UA Little Rock’s requirement, and, because it will be a repeated course, the student will be awarded credit hours only for the most recent grade.

D Policy and Act 182 of 2009

In-State Public Associate Degrees Designated for Transfer under ACT 182 of 2009

Students entering the university with an associate of arts, associate of science, or associate of arts in teaching degree that is from an Arkansas college or university, earned after January 2010 and designated for transfer in accordance with ACT 182 of 2009, meet the UA Little Rock core requirements. Students transferring to UA Little Rock with such degrees are not required to take additional lower-level general education courses except under the following conditions:

  • As a prerequisite for courses in the transfer student’s baccalaureate degree program.
  • A discipline-specific course that is required by the student’s baccalaureate degree program and that the student has not completed at the two-year public institution of higher education.
  • A requirement of an independent licensing or accrediting body.

Students entering UA Little Rock with an associate of arts or associate of science degree from a public Arkansas college or university that is not designated for transfer in accordance with ACT 182 of 2009 and students transferring associate of arts or associate of science degrees from in-state private and/or out-of-state colleges or universities are subject to the transfer policy indicated in the following section (See Transferring All Other Associate Degrees). Students with questions about the transferability of previously earned associate’s degrees are invited to contact the Office of Transfer Student Services for clarification.


Requests for D Grade Transfers

Non-Standard Credit Transfer Request Form to transfer credit from courses with D grades will be evaluated only after a completed application for admission and final transcripts from all regionally accredited colleges and universities have been received in the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Only undergraduate courses taken at regionally accredited institutions will transfer to UA Little Rock.

Only credit hours transfer; grades do not transfer. Grades earned at another institution are not used in calculating the student’s overall GPA earned at UA Little Rock. However, the transferred D grades may be included in the calculation of GPA in the student’s major and minor.

Graduation honors are calculated on all academic work including all UA Little Rock credit courses, all repeated courses and all work completed at all other institutions, whether accepted as transfer credit at UA Little Rock or not.

The request for transfer of up to six hours of credit for D graded courses may be made at any time prior to the awarding of the degree. This request can be made more than once, in which case, the most recent request(s) will be transferred.

This policy also applies to students enrolled at UA Little Rock who have Special Exception Forms approved to enroll concurrently or as a transient student at another institution.

Second Associate or Baccalaureate Degrees

The D transfer policy also applies to students pursuing a second associate or baccalaureate degree, if the transfer courses are taken after completion of the previous degree. However, those courses with D grades will not count toward the 30 credit hour residency requirement for second baccalaureate degrees.

Source: UALR Undergraduate Catalog 2009-10, p. 26 & UALR Website
Status: Active
Approved By: Chancellor Joel E. Anderson May 5, 2004, & VCESS, April 1, 2010
Custodian: Records and Registration