Transfer Student – 517.1

Back to Student Affairs

University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Policy Name: Transfer Student
Policy Number: 517.1
Effective Date: April 1, 2010


Definition of Transfer Student

A transfer student is one who has previously enrolled at another college or university at any time and acquired more than 12 hours of academic credit.

Transfer Students’ Entrance Requirements

Transfer students are those who have been enrolled previously in a higher institution of learning and have at least 12 transferable college credit hours and a grade point average of at least 2.00 on all previous college work to be granted regular admission. Such applicants must submit:

  1. Completed application for admission.
  2. Official transcript of each college previously attended sent to UA Little Rock by the college.
  3. Proof of two MMR immunizations (required of all applicants born after January 1, 1957).

Transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions will be evaluated only after a completed application for admission and final transcripts have been received.


Transcripts from institutions not accredited by the regional accrediting associations will be handled at the discretion of the director of Records and Registration. Students presenting such transcripts may be given provisional credit subject to the satisfactory completion of further work at UA Little Rock in subjects for which they are asking advanced standing and a satisfactory grade point average. However, such transcripts may be refused altogether. Only official transcripts will be accepted for evaluation. They must include complete records of the courses taken at all other institutions and be sent to UA Little Rock by the institutions. The director may also request that a catalog or bulletin of the years covered by the transcript be presented.

Transfer Students and Majors

All transfer students are initially admitted into University College. After deciding on a major, students should ask the department chairperson or the dean of the college in that area to evaluate his or her transfer work. A given course may be accepted toward the total hours required for a degree at UA Little Rock, but may not be accepted as meeting a specific course requirement for the core curriculum or for a major or minor. The transfer credit equivalency guide for Arkansas schools is available on the the Records and Registration website, Transfer Equivalency Guide.

Transferring Coursework

Only courses taken at regionally accredited institutions will transfer to UA Little Rock. Only credit hours earned at other institutions will transfer; grades and GPA do not transfer and are not calculated in the student’s GPA earned at UA Little Rock. However, all grades from all universities are calculated for honors. Only courses with grades of C or greater will transfer automatically; however, a student may request to transfer as many as six credit hours with a grade of D from any accredited college or university. Credit for the hours will be accepted as transfer credit if the course meets requirements for transfer course credit and if a student would be allowed to earn a grade of D if the class were offered at UA Little Rock. A student may take advantage of this policy at any time prior to the awarding of an undergraduate degree.

Transferring Core or General Education Courses

As a public, state institution, UA Little Rock participates in the State Minimum Core Curriculum, which allows students to transfer up to 35 hours of general education or core courses among Arkansas institutions. Students transferring to or from UA Little Rock and another publicly supported Arkansas college or university should check with their advisors to assure proper transfer of core or general education courses.

The Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS) contains information about the transferability of courses within Arkansas public colleges and universities. Students are guaranteed the transfer of applicable credits and equitable treatment in the application of credits for admissions and degree requirements. Students may complete specified general education courses anywhere in the public system as well as many courses in the degree or major that have been pre‐identified for transfer.

Transferring Associate Degrees In-State Public Associate Degrees

Students entering the university with an associate degree (with the exception of an associates of applied science) approved for transfer from an Arkansas college or university subject to the Articulation Agreement of ADHE of 1994 meet the UA Little Rock core requirements, effective fall semester 2006.

In-State Private and Out-of-State Associate Degrees

Students entering the university with an associate degree (with the exception of an Associates of Applied Science) from outside of Arkansas or from an Arkansas non-public college or university will demonstrate their degree came from a regionally accredited college or university and includes:

  • 3 hours of college algebra or college mathematics, or higher mathematics course
  • 6 hours of English composition
  • 9 to 15 hours of social science including a 3‐hour course on U.S. history or U.S. government
  • 6 to 8 hours of lab science
  • 6 to 12 hours of arts and humanities, and
  • 0 to 3 hours of speech

Such a degree will satisfy UA Little Rock’s core requirements. Students who have an associate degree of at least 60 hours and are missing some of this distribution of courses will be required only to add the courses they are missing.

Source: UALR Undergraduate Catalog 2009-10, p. 26
Approved By: Existing Policy
Custodian: Office of Admissions