Senator Sit-down: Janet Dotson

Janet DotsonName: Janet Dotson

Department: IT Services

Years at UALR: 4

Years on Staff Senate: 2

Role in Staff Senate: I am the chair of the Fall Open House, our annual auction that helps raise money for Helping Hands. As chair, I organize the event and make sure we have donations for the teacup auction.

Best part of your job: The best part of my job at UALR is that I get to be a part of the university environment. My job allows me to participate in laying the technological foundation for the University.

Working at UALR is: Being a staff member at UALR is worthwhile because no matter what part we play, we are here to attend to the needs of the students.

Staff Senate is special to me because: It allows me to be an active member of the campus community. I get to participate in events like Open House and Helping Hands which takes an active role in making sure the people in our community have at least one good meal during the holiday season.

I couldn’t live without: Books! I love books! There is a book for everything and every mood. I don’t know what I would do if I did not have free access to them.

Last thing I read: Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires)

Favorite meal: Fried catfish and french fries.

Best vacation I ever took was: The best vacation I have ever taken was to Disney World. When I was 21 or 22 my mom decided we would go visit some family in Florida. They took us to Disney World and I instantly turned into a 12-year old squealing girl hyped up on sugar and princesses. We didn’t know this at the time, but a hurricane was blowing through. Late in the day it started pouring sheets of rain, stop, start up again, and stop. We did as much as we could between the downpours, and it was still AWESOME!

Fun fact people might not know about me: I love to sing and dance, but I have no rhythm and couldn’t hold a note if you put it in my hand.

One word that sums me up: Dedicated

Posted in: senators