UPDATE: STRIVE 2020 will be moved to a mixed-modality form of collaboration between AR teachers, businesses, and UA Little Rock.
In the face of COVID-19, we have worked with teachers and businesses to develop a plan-B for this Arkansas-wide Professional Development Program for 7-12th grade STEM Teachers. More details can be found on the 2020 Teachers and 2020 Business pages.
- Teachers will participate in a variety of online professional development experiences (synchronous and asynchronous).
- A series of teacher-led virtual “interviews” will be scheduled for each business, where teachers will learn about the careers that exist in their local businesses.
- Each teacher will lead one of the interviews to gain insight to their jobs and how the skills they teach in 7-12th grade STEM classes are utilized in these various positions.
- Over the course of the summer, all teachers will view all of the interviews that have been conducted by other teachers.
- Teachers will develop a curricular module to improve their students’ awareness of and ability to be successful in the jobs that exist in their communities.
- If conditions permit, teachers will be invited on-site for an in-person visit to the business partner.
- On November 16, 2020 all teachers and business partners will convene for the fall 2020 STRIVE Open House.
- Teachers will present their curricular modules (5 minutes, one slide per teacher), measured impact on students, and lessons learned
- Business partners will give feedback and insight
- Together we will build a plan for STRIVE 2021 with many of the 2020 STRIVE partners and teachers
- Open to perspective teachers and businesses that are interested in partnering for STRIVE 2021!
We hope to return to our normal STRIVE program in 2021.
Where are our 2020 business partners?
In partnership with businesses and teachers across the state, we are working to grow a more capable and qualified workforce in all parts of Arkansas.
An up to date map of Business partners for the UA Little Rock STRIVE Program 2020
Don’t see a business in your community yet? Help build connections and put us in touch with someone you know!
Engaging teachers with local businesses for an exploratory (virtual) experience during the summer of 2020 will be done in order to:
- Increase student awareness of the many jobs that utilize the skills and concepts that are being taught in their STEM classes.
- Increase the capability of students to apply for and be successful in those jobs, within their community and beyond.
Do you want to find new ways to help your students prepare for jobs that employ the STEM skills taught in your classroom? Join our modified summer program to learn about the diversity of jobs that utilize STEM skills. In addition to participating in professional development with fellow teachers from across the state (online), we will partner you with a business in your community for a series of interviews with their workers to help you to build skills and conceptual understanding in your classroom during 5 days of professional development.
For the summer 2020 STRIVE partnership, we are seeking partner businesses that are willing to provide access to a number of your employees for an online 1-hour teacher-led interview. We want teachers in your community to know what a variety of your employees do on a daily basis, how they utilize the skills that these teachers help their students develop on a daily basis, and give teachers an overall picture of what your business needs to operate.
For more information, contact the Director of the STRIVE Program, Dr. Mark Baillie at email@example.com. STRIVE is funded by the Arkansas Legislature.
These businesses and teachers partnered together to make 2019 an incredibly successful year!