On this page you will find a variety of resources to assist faculty in incorporating bioinformatics and other bio data training into the classroom, whether your students are in high school, college, or graduate school.
Online Bio Data Tools for the Classroom
- The Research Data Management Toolkit for the Life Sciences: This website features best practices and guidelines to help you make your data FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable).
- CyVerse – The Open Science Workspace for Collaborative Data Discovery Tools Page: CyVerse’s powerful computational infrastructure easily handles the massive datasets and complex analyses of modern science. Offering an unprecedented degree of usability, scalability, and performance through their integrated data management system and compute resources, CyVerse provides one-stop resources for reproducible research, workflow automation, and collaboration for you, your students, and your collaborators. Here are just some of the highlights from the CyVerse website.
- DNA Subway, one of the most popular CyVerse Tools – A fun and easy-to-use interface for learning, teaching, and doing high-level genome analysis.
- Foundational Open Science Skills: Part of the CyVerse educational offerings, Foundational Open Science Skills (FOSS) is a novel, camp-style training designed to prepare principal investigators and their lab teams, both new and established, to meet the growing expectations of funding agencies, publishers, and research institutions for scientific reproducibility and data accessibility.
- CyVerse Discussion Board: The CyVerse Learning Center has answers to your FAQs plus a place for you to get answers to your questions about the CyVerse site
- Arkansas Bioinformatics Network: The Arkansas Bioinformatics Network is designed and managed by The University of Arkansas at Little Rock for the purpose of assisting students and professionals in navigating the field of bioinformatics in Arkansas. We are always on the lookout for new things to showcase on this site, so please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions.
Lesson Plans for the Classroom
If you are looking for lesson plans that you can incorporate into your classes, check out these resources to find instructional labs contributed by other life science faculty from around the country.
- DNA Learning Center – Barcoding 101
- DNA Learning Center – Online Educational Programming
- NIBLSE Bioinformatics Learning Resources for Genetics Courses
- Microbial Life Education Resources – Bioinformatics in the Classroom
- The Science Teacher – Bioinformatics Resources