College of Arts, Letters, and Sciences
Stacy M. Pendergraft, Associate Professor of Theatre Arts
- Professor Pendergraft teaches introduction to theatre and dance, acting, directing, voice and movement, theatre and dance: a first experience, and many student capstones.
- She developed a novel “page and stage” course to give students in various specializations a broad methodology for creating original work. The course enabled students to come together in collaborative teamwork.
- Her educational practice and artistic aesthetic foster an environment in which creative risk, direct feedback, and personal accountability are critical skills.
- Notably, Professor Pendergraft has trained the only two Arkansas actors ever selected for the American Theatre Wing’s Springboard NYC, an in-depth program for college students that happens parallel to the Tony Awards.
- A former student describes Professor Pendergraft’s pedagogy in this way: “It is my belief that the intersection of professional prowess and interpersonal care is hard-won ground for any educator, or, indeed, any person. I find myself forever seeking it professionally and personally; desiring a partnership of sharp, skillful excellence and tender, genuine compassion. I count myself very fortunate to have watched Ms. Pendergraft not only stand on this hard-won ground, but make it her home.”