The subject technology is a method for using carbon nanotubes (CNT) to impact seed germination and plant growth. It involves using CNT, carbon nanofibers (CNF), and/or carbon nanostructures (CNS) to penetrate plant seed coats. The technology has been tested, particularly on tomato plants and has a number of demonstrated benefits.
• Accelerated germination – Accelerated seed germination and decreased germination time.
• Improved yield – Increased germination percentage.
• Improved biomass – Tomatoes demonstrated an increase in vegetable biomass by a factor of 2.5.
• Improved growth – Increased water uptake inside tomato seeds.
• Influencing seed germination and growth of agricultural crops
• Developing new fertilizers
Keywords: carbon nanotubes, carbon nanofibers, seed growth, plants, seed germination, fertilizer, agriculture
Inventors: Alexandru S. Biris, Mariya V. Khodakovskaya