Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
Annual application deadline: November 1
The Arkansas Division of Higher Education’s Student Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program allows undergraduate students to conduct in-depth research projects in their specific fields of study with the assistance of faculty mentors. To be eligible to apply for these funds, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.25, 30 or more hours of credit toward his/her degree at the time of funding, and the support of a faculty mentor. The student must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien.
For more information, including SURF application instructions, visit the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs page.
All types of undergraduate research are eligible for support, and all academic disciplines are encouraged to apply. In addition to the usual science, engineering and mathematics projects, this program will support, for example, a philosophy major who is preparing a paper in the area of bioethics, or an art major who wants to sculpt a major project. Funds are provided for students to travel to conferences to present their accomplishments.
Required Materials for Application Submission
- SURF cover page (signed by mentor and institutional official)
- Mentor form and mentor’s vita (2 page maximum)
- Student form and student vita
- Current transcript and listing of current semester classes
- One page summary of proposed research
- Description of proposed research (maximum of 5 pages, doubled spaced)
- Budget and budget justification forms
- Letter of support from mentor
- Twao letters of recommendation from faculty members
- Original application and one copy
Application Preparation Assistance
If you require technical assistance with preparation of your application, please contact Quinton Morgan at 501-371-1064.