Information on the placement test
- All students without a minimum score of 24 on the science or math reasoning section of the ACT wishing to enroll in CHEM 1402- General Chemistry I must first pass the CHEM 1402 Placement Test with a grade of 60 or higher.
- The test consists of 40 multiple choice questions (20 math questions and 20 chemistry questions) that must be completed in 40 minutes
- Students with appropriate documentation from the DRC will receive extended time.
- You will be provided a non-graphing scientific calculator to use on the test.
- Each student can attempt the placement test twice in a semester with a gap of at least one week to be eligible to take the test the second time in the same semester.
The test is administered at Testing Services on the main UA Little Rock campus. They are located in room 315 in the Student Services Center. You can register for the test online at the Testing Services website, here.
In order for a student to pass the placement test, they will need to be able to do the following:
- 20 basic math questions that include the following learning objectives:
- Manipulate and solve simple algebraic equations, including order of operations and how to work with fractions
- Using scientific notation
- Use logical reasoning to deduce an answer
- Interpret graphs
- 20 general chemistry questions covering the following learning objectives:
- Differentiate between chemical and physical properties and changes
- Classify different types of matter
- Deduce the properties of elements based on their position on the periodic table
- Identify components of atoms and how they vary to produce isotopes and ions
- Distinguish between different types of compounds and their properties
- Convert between units
- Read instrument to the number of significant figures
- Read and analyze phase diagrams
Some Example Questions:
1. (2.80×10-3) (1.28 x 101) / (3.20 x 10-4) = __________
A) 27 x 101
B) 0 x 102
C) 2 x 106
D) 12 x 102
2. Solve the following equation for x: 4x – b = 2x + c
A) c – b – 6
B) (c + b) / 2
C) (c + b) / 6
D) (c – b) / 2
3. How many total atoms are in the formula Al2(CO3)3?
4. How many electrons are in Br_ ?
5. Which one of the following is a metalloid?
6. A certain atom has a charge of -2 and has 16 protons and 16 neutrons in the nucleus. How many electrons does this atom possess?