Important Dates for Summer Financial Aid
- The preferred deadline to request summer financial aid is May 3, 2021.
- The final deadline to submit the 2020-2021 FAFSA is June 30, 2021.
- The final deadline to request summer financial aid is July 15, 2021.
Processing of Summer Financial Aid Requests
- Requests for summer financial aid are processed in date order.
- Summer Financial Aid Requests must be submitted by May 3rd, in order for the request to be processed, and for aid eligibility to be determined, by the summer payment deadline.
General Eligibility Requirements
- Submitting a Summer Financial Aid Request does not guarantee eligibility for summer financial aid.
- You must be fully admitted to a degree program at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Bowen School of Law.
- You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress
- You cannot be in default on a student loan nor owe a repayment to a federal grant.
- UA Little Rock must have received valid results from the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before we can determine summer aid eligibility. The deadline to file the 2020-2021 FAFSA is June 30, 2021.
- The online Summer Financial Aid Request is also required in order to apply for summer financial aid.
- You must be registered in classes for the summer term before you can submit a Summer Financial Aid Request.
- You must have submitted all required documents (tax forms, verification worksheets, etc.) to the UA Little Rock Office of Financial Aid before you can receive summer financial aid.
- Additional financial assistance from any source could affect federal loan eligibility. Failure to report other sources of aid may result in the required reduction or repayment of federal loan funds.
How to Request Summer Aid
- Complete the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you previously completed the 2020-2021 FAFSA, you do not need to complete a new one.
- Register in classes for the summer 2021 term
- Complete the online Summer Financial Aid Request in BOSS.
Summer Registration Requirements
- You must be registered in at least 4 hours for summer term before you are eligible to submit a Summer Financial Aid Request.
- If you change your summer enrollment after submitting your application, you must notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately. Any change in enrollment could affect aid eligibility.
Eligibility for Federal Student Loans during the Summer Term
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan funds received during the preceding fall and spring terms will determine eligibility for summer loan funds. If you received the maximum annual unsubsidized loan amount, $20,500, during the fall and/or spring semesters, you will not be eligible for a summer unsubsidized loan.
- If you have exhausted your annual unsubsidized loan eligibility, you should pursue a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.
- Eligibility for a Graduate PLUS loan is based on your credit history.
- An endorser (co-signer) may be required for loan approval.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time, a minimum of 4 law hours in the summer term, in order to qualify for any federal loan funds.
- If you are pursuing a dual degree program and are enrolled in graduate hours only for the summer semester, you must meet the half-time enrollment requirements for a graduate student in order to be eligible to receive federal loan funds.
- Additional financial assistance from any source could affect federal student loan eligibility. Failure to report other sources of aid may result in the required reduction or repayment of federal loan funds.
Summer Disbursement of Federal Student Loan Funds
- Loan funds will disburse on June 7, 2021, the first day of Law School Summer Session
- If you are attending a summer study abroad program, the loan disbursement dates will be determined by the study abroad program dates.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time, as of the date of the disbursement, in order to receive a payment of loan funds.
- The University of Arkansas at Little Rock defines half-time enrollment as a minimum of 4 law hours in the summer term.
- Study abroad programs may define half-time status differently.
- All charges must be paid in full before a refund can be issued to you.
- The amount of financial aid funds credited to your UA Little Rock student account must be greater than the charges due in order for a refund check/direct deposit to be created.
- Review the summer loan disbursement guide for more information.
Private Education Loans
- Law School students who are eligible for federal financial aid are encouraged to pursue a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan instead of a private education loan.
- Private education loans are private sources of student financial assistance.
- You may apply for a private education loan if you do not qualify for federal financial aid or if you need additional financial aid resources to meet the cost of attendance.
- Eligibility for the loan is based on your credit rating.
- A co-signer may be required.
- The Office of Financial Aid provides a historical list of lenders for private education loans. However, you may pursue a private education loan from any lender you choose.
- The total amount of aid received from all sources cannot exceed your summer cost of attendance.