Two Students Win Prestigious Elder Scholarships

Two sophomores from the UA Little Rock School of Mass Communication have won scholarships from the prestigious Jim Elder Good Sport Fund.

Alexandria Brown and Remy Miller each earned a $6,000 scholarship for the 2020-21 school year. The Good Sport Fund awarded a total of seven scholarships this week to broadcasting or journalism students at universities across Arkansas. The scholarships, which were based on financial need, career goals and community involvement, are renewable for a second year.

Brown, of England, Ark., is a Mass Communication major with an emphasis in journalism. She is involved in the Chancellor’s Leadership Corps and Student Affairs Success Initiatives. She also received the Taste of Little Rock scholarship from the UA Little Rock Alumni Association for this academic year.

“I am overwhelmed with gratitude,” Brown said about the Elder award. “This scholarship will contribute to me getting an education at UALR and meeting my career goals. It’s inspirational and admirable that this scholarship gives back to students in journalism. I hope to do something like this one day.

“I would like to give my utmost appreciation to the board of this scholarship, Professor [Sonny] Rhodes for telling me about this wonderful opportunity, and of course, the late Jim Elder,” she said.

The Good Sport Fund is named in honor of Elder, a longtime sports broadcaster and former voice of the Arkansas Travelers baseball team. Elder was named Arkansas Sportscaster of the Year 11 times and was posthumously inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in 2007.

Miller, from Little Rock, is double-majoring in English and Mass Communication with an emphasis in journalism. She is also involved with the Chancellor’s Leadership Corps and is a member of the Wesley Foundation’s book club. Miller has previously received the TreDay and KA Engel scholarships.

“I am so excited to receive this huge honor,” Miller said of the Elder scholarship. “When I first heard about the scholarship from a professor I was intimidated, but it was worth every second of the process. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity. It was the highlight of my month, truly.”

Miller, who described herself as passionate about journalism and her community, also expressed her gratitude to the School of Mass Communication.

“I think the UA Little Rock School of Mass Communication really cares about the success of its students, and every day is a chance for another amazing opportunity.”

“Amazing” is a good word to describe Brown and Miller, said Rhodes, an associate professor of journalism, adding that he was elated to learn of their selection.

“Alex and Remy are highly talented and work extremely hard,” he said. “They are a joy to have in class. The School of Mass Communication can take a great deal of pride in their accomplishment. I want to thank Susan Elder and the other members of the scholarship board for their generosity in helping these two highly deserving students further their education.”

Dr. Chris Etheridge, an assistant professor in the School of Mass Communication, echoed those sentiments.

“Both Alex and Remy are rising stars in journalism and are a value to our program. I’m so thankful to the Jim Elder Scholarship Fund for supporting them in pursuing their dreams.”

Posted in: Mass Communication News