To apply to the Donaghey Scholars Program:
- Complete the online application for admission to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
- Complete the Trojan Smart application for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
- Have official test scores for the ACT/SAT sent to UA Little Rock.
- Have official transcripts for high school (including fall semester 2017) and, if applicable, college sent to UA Little Rock.
- Complete the Donaghey Scholars Program General Data sheet, including the upload of two essays (guidelines indicated below)
- Two letters of recommendation, submission options:
- via email to email@example.com
- via mail to
Donaghey Scholars Program
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S. University Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72204
Priority deadline is February 1, final deadline is March 1
Please submit both of the following essays. Reminder: Include your name on your essay.
1. Write a tweet (140 characters or fewer) that tells us who you are. Now, dissect it (800-1,000 words). Writing a truthful account of oneself for an audience you don’t know is a tall order. Why did you choose those words? Make sure that you clearly include your tweet at the beginning of your essay. See the image below for suggested formatting.
2. Choose a contentious issue about which you feel passionate and defend your position in 800-1,000 words. Be sure to acknowledge the opposing side and support your argument with citations and a bibliography.
Interview Process and Decisions:
Beginning in mid-to-late February through mid-March, interviews are arranged for the most promising applicants. The candidate interviews with three people from the admissions committee: the Director of the Scholars Program, a faculty member from the Policy Council, and a student representative from the Student Committee. Interviews typically last 45 minutes.
In late March, after further review, the admissions committee decides which students will receive an offer from the Program. The admission standards are holistic, and decisions are based on academic record, test scores, leadership ability, community service, interest in other cultures, recommendation letters, the essays the student has submitted, and the interview.
The Program will notify selected students in early April.