International Student Services is looking for a professional, articulate, student who is available to represent International Student Services on the phone and at the front desk weekday mornings. Please find the position information and application below.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Job Title: International Student Ambassador
Department: International Student Services
Primary Supervisor: Bailey Gambill, International Student Advisor
II. JOB DESCRIPTION
An International Student Ambassador will report to International Student Services with the goal of serving the international population through student interaction, customer service, administrative tasks, and student programming.
International Student Ambassadors will have the chance to work in an international environment and gain cultural competencies as well as valuable work experience for any future career.
The International Student Ambassador is the first contact for international students. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with reception tasks
- Working directly with a diverse student group
- Answering phones, filing, scanning (ImageNow), and shredding
- Organizing files and rooms
- Greeting visitors, assisting students
- Scheduling Appointments, assisting on office projects
- Other duties as assigned
Continued attendance in a degree program at UALR
- Available from 10:00 – 3:00 pm Tuesday and Thursday (Spring 2016 semester)
- Full course of study (excluding Summer)
- Demonstration of strong oral and written English skills
- Computer competency with Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Quick and out-of-the box thinking capabilities
- International applicants must follow all US Immigration Regulations
- Foreign Language/Travel/Study Abroad Experience
- Presentation experience
IV. KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS NEEDED
Knowledge of foreign cultures and an ability to learn quickly is very important in this position. Students of foreign backgrounds/experience will be given priority in this position. A willingness to learn new cultures and customs is a must-have-skill regardless of cultural background.
- Customer service experience
- Attention to detail in projects and tasks
- Patience and understanding in regards to student needs
- Confidentiality with information
V. OTHER BENEFITS
The International Student Ambassadors will:
- Improve cross-cultural competency skills.
- Obtain an understanding of skills needed to work with a diverse, international student population.
- Develop his/her communication and cultural skills by working with an international population.
- Gain valuable work experience for future professional positions outside of the university after their graduation from UALR.
- Enhance their resume.
VI. TO APPLY
International Student Services will be accepting applications one month before the end of each semester for the following semester. Applications should be submitted via form below. Those interested will need to submit the following to apply:
- Cover Letter
- Class Registration for Spring 2016 Semester
- List of 3 References