Effort Certification (Time & Effort) for Fall 2018 is available for certification on February 1.
Requirements and Deadlines
The Fall 2018 Effort Certification is to report efforts for pay period of August 16 to December 31, 2018.
The system is available for certification as of February 1, 2019 on BOSS. All effort reports must be certified by March 2, 2019.
Effort Certification workshop will be held online on Thursday, February 7 at 10 a.m.
The purpose of the online system is to make it easier for employees and principal investigators to certify their effort on projects and to ensure that reports are accurate and completed in a timely manner.
All employees paid through federal grants, principal investigators, and unit administrators are required to attend a training session on Effort Certification. Each individual is only required to attend one session.
Graduate assistants are not required to certify an effort report. Their principal investigators will certify the effort report for them.
Serious consequences may occur for not completing an effort report. Thus, multiple reminders will be issued:
1. An email will be sent to all employees, PIs, and Unit Administrators when an effort report is available to be certified and/or reviewed.
2. An email reminder will be sent if the effort report has not been certified after one week.
3. An email will be sent to the dean listing the names of the employees in their college who have not certified their effort reports after two weeks.
4. An email will be sent to the Provost listing the names of the employees who have not certified their effort reports after three weeks.
After 30 days, the following penalties will be imposed for not completing an effort report:
First offense: Indirect cost distribution to the PI, Department and Dean will be held until the certification is completed.
Second offense: A 5% non-compliance fee will be imposed to the existing cash balance of the designated fund associated with the PI and Department.
The following topics will be covered in the Effort Certification workshop:
– Effort Certification Regulation
– Policy and Procedures
– Penalties for non-compliance
– Reviewing and Certifying Time & Effort online
– Approving Labor Redistribution