The Windgate Center of Art + Design is the home of the UA Little Rock Department of Art and Design
UPDATE: artWAYS for Summer 2020 has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
artWAYS is a week long immersive arts summer program. Participants spend all day making art in well-equipped art classrooms/studios with university art professors who are also working artists.
- All sessions are residential (except the Junior High Session).
- Teachers receive 30 hours of professional development credits through ADE.
Summer 2020 Schedule:
Art Teacher Session 1: June 1 – 5
Emphasis areas to choose from: graphic design and metalsmithing & jewelry. Session includes art history component.
- Typographically Speaking … with Graphic Design | Professor Kevin Cates
- Grey Matter – Casting Techniques for Pewter with Metalsmithing & Jewelry | Professor Ben Dory
High School Art Student Session: June 8 – 12
Emphasis areas include: animation, metalsmithing & jewelry, photography, and woodworking. Session includes art history component.
- Register Here the High School Art Student Session
Junior High Art Student Session: June 22 – 26
(Non-residential program will run Mon. – Fri., 9am-5pm.)
Emphasis areas include: animation, graphic design, and metalsmithing & jewelry. Session includes art history component.
- Register Here for the Junior High School Art Session
Art Teacher Session 2: July 13 – 17
Emphasis areas to choose from: animation, ceramics, photography, and woodworking.
- Digital Animation with Animation – Professor Dusty Higgins
- Figuring Out with Ceramics Professor – Kensuke Yamada
- Cyanotype Printing with Photography – Professor Joli Livaudais
- Adventures in Woodworking with Furniture Design & Woodworking – Professor Peter Scheidt
Housing and Meals:
Housing in the on-campus residence hall is provided for the High School and Art Teacher Sessions. Breakfast, lunch, and art materials are provided for all sessions.
Dinner is provided for the High School Art Session only.
artWAYS is FREE through a grant from the Windgate Foundation.