Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Earnest Cox

Earnest Cox, Ph.D.

UA Little Rock alum and associate professor of the Rhetoric and Writing program Dr. Earnest Cox, is no stranger to hard work. In 1990, Dr. Cox earned his bachelor’s degree in English and his Masters in Technical and Expository Writing from UA Little Rock in 1993. He also earned his Ph.D. in English from Texas Christian University in 1999. Prior to beginning work on his Ph.D. at Texas Christian University, he was an adjunct writing instructor for UA Little Rock.

Dr. Cox was part of the TEAMS Doctoral Fellowship program that was developed by the UA Little Rock graduate school. The program helped to recruit and retain faculty of color. Cox said, “UA Little Rock supported me in my doctoral work, in exchange for me returning to the university as a tenure-track faculty member. I decided to return to the university in 1999.”

We sat down with Dr. Cox to learn more about him. Take a look!

What is your favorite aspect about your career?

I enjoy working with our students. UA Little Rock has the best students.

What is your proudest accomplishment?

Getting my doctorate was my proudest accomplishment. I was the first person in my family to attend college–in fact, as a high school student, I never really considered college. So my doctorate was really the result of my mother always emphasizing the importance of education. So making her proud was my proudest moment.

What makes you laugh the most?

My family and the television shows Bob’s Burgers and Teen Titans Go!

What are your hobbies?

I am a collector of science-fiction, horror, fantasy, and comic book merchandise.

What was the last book you read?

I recently re-read Sun Tzu’s The Art of War.

Posted in: Alumni Spotlight